We’re pleased to announce that starting today, all of our 75,000+ merchants can start accepting Bitcoin. Our new…
We’re pleased to announce that starting today, all of our 75,000+ merchants can start accepting Bitcoin.
We’ve had a lot of demand from our merchants to incorporate support for Bitcoin and we’re happy that we can make this integration available prior to this year’s holiday shopping season.
Why Accept Bitcoin Payments With Shopify
The main features are:
- Customers from around the world can check out with digital currency.
- The currency works just like cash.
- Transactions cannot be reversed by the buyer (unlike credit cards or PayPal).
- You can choose to receive your payments in Bitcoins (paid into your Bitcoin wallet) or paid in your local currency directly into your bank account every business day.
- Transactions are secure and meet the highest standards for ecommerce security.
Wait. So What is Bitcoin?
Many people find Bitcoin somewhat confusing. Quite simply, Bitcoin is a peer-to-peer online financial network that people use to send payments from one person to another and it’s also a digital currency (also called Bitcoin). The bitcoin network functions without the intermediation of a central authority. The managing of transactions and the issuing of Bitcoins is carried out collectively by the network.
Here is an excellent explanation of all things Bitcoin, and here's a video that sums it up nicely:
Still have questions? Learn more about Bitcoin.
Ready to get started? Accept Bitcoin with Shopify now.