Using our brand
These guidelines will help you correctly make use of our brand.
By using our brand assets, you indicate your acceptance of our Trademark Usage Guidelines and you understand that a violation of these guidelines will result in the termination of your license and/or permission to use our brand assets.
Our primary logo combines our brandmark, The Shopping Bag, with our italicized wordmark. Wherever possible, we aim to use the primary logo in full-color. Please note, the ‘S’ on The Shopping Bag is always white, regardless of background color.
This is the main Shopify logo. It should be used in this form whenever possible.
Inverted Primary Logo
This version features a white wordmark for greater legibility on dark or busy backgrounds.
When our primary or full-color logos aren’t an option, use the monotone logo that provides the most contrast. Please note, the monotone logos have a gap in The Shopping Bag.
Some conditions that make using our primary or inverted full-color logos impossible include:
- When budgets require single color printing.
- When accurate color representations aren't attainable.
- On busy or patterned backgrounds.
- On backgrounds without enough contrast.
The Shopping Bag
There are a few circumstances where our brandmark, The Shopping Bag, can represent the brand on its own without the wordmark.
When logo legibility is compromised. If the size of the logo would make the wordmark illegible.
When a full-color logo is nearby. For example, in a multi-panel ad featuring a large full-color logo, The Shopping Bag can be used alone as a secondary brand signifier.
In a situation where the brand is already established. Within our product, our offices, or at a Shopify event. Anywhere The Shopping Bag will be instantly recognized as part of our brand.
When space is extremely limited. For example, when the logo must live within a square or circle shape.
Our logo works best when it has enough room to breathe.
Keep a clear space of ‘X’ around our logo at all times to maintain its visual impact in every composition. X = the x-height of the wordmark.
The Shopping Bag
Keep a clear space of ½ S around The Shopping Bag at all times, to maintain its visual impact in every composition.
To maintain the visual integrity of our logo, don’t scale it below 80 pixels or 28 millimeters wide.
Here’s a few examples of what we should absolutely avoid when using the logo.
Trademark Usage Guidelines
These guidelines explain how you must use and visually present our brand assets at all times. Your use of our brand assets indicates your acceptance of these guidelines, and you understand that your use of our brand assets in violation of these guidelines will result in automatic termination of your license and/or permission to use our brand assets.
- Use of our brand assets must be expressly authorized in writing.
- Your use must not mislead consumers as to our sponsorship of, affiliation with or endorsement of your company or your products or services.
- Our brand assets are our exclusive property. All goodwill that results from your use of our brand assets will be solely to our benefit. You will not take any action that is at odds with our rights or ownership of our brand assets. Where used on a web page, our brand assets, as well as the mention of our name, should include embedded hyperlinks to our homepage: www.shopify.com.
- Our brand assets must be used in a respectful manner. Our brand assets may not be used in a way that harms us, our products or services, or in a manner which, in our opinion, lessens or otherwise damages our reputation or the goodwill in our brand assets. In other words, please do not associate our brand assets with any illicit or illegal activities or use them in a way that is deceptive or harmful.