It’s less than two weeks until Santa pops the chimney flue and drops locally handmade (in the North Pole, of course) gifts under trees everywhere. He makes it look so easy. Don’t try to compare your gift-giving abilities to the man in red, though—it’s his literal full-time job. But where does this leave the stragglers on your own gift list?
Fortunately, it’s still possible to find unique, personal gifts without a panicked detour to the mall on your way to Christmas dinner. Our holiday gift guide, curated in the spirit of shopping small, has ideas for foodies and activists and dog lovers alike.
At Shopify, we don’t just power independent businesses—we also love to shop with them, too. And we’ve picked standout products from some of our favorite stores for everyone on your list. Explore gifts for the 11th-hour invite to a Secret Santa, the unexpected cousin dropping by for the holidays, or even that person in your life who claims to “have everything.”
Here’s how to shop the Shopify community using our holiday gift guide:
Gifts for foodies
Unique ideas for master chefs, sous chefs, and Top Chef enthusiasts.
1. Corbé Harvest Bowl in Salt
2. Kinto pour over coffee stand
3. Brightland extra virgin olive oil (note: pre-order for the new year and pop an IOU under the tree)
4. Bon Appétit apron
5. Old World Kitchen handcrafted wooden spoons
Gifts for littles
Inclusive and creativity-boosting alternatives to plastic overload.
6. Color Herstory coloring books featuring influential women of color
7. Loog kid-sized guitars for budding rockstars
8. Circuit Cubes STEM kits
9. My Pipers boxers shorts for girls (and boys, too)
Gifts for teens
Gen Z-approved picks for picky teenagers.
10. Knixteen sleepover boy shorts
11. 54 Celsius Pyro Pet Candles
12. HexComix Hex11 comic book series, created by an all-woman team
Gifts for hosts
Cozy consumables for holiday party hosts-with-the-most.
13. Heart sustainably sourced coffee beans and coffee accessories
14. Farm to People Three Alarm Fire hot sauce gift basket
15. Grey Ghost "scratch-made" chocolate chip cookies
Gifts for the conscious consumer
Eco-friendly, sustainable, organic, you name it—these gifts are good.
16. Kotn cotton t-shirts, produced sustainably with a transparent and ethical supply chain
17. Big Bud Press color popping jumpsuits, ethically manufactured in the U.S.
18. Soma glass water bottles and filtration pitchers
19. The Detox Market green beauty gift sets
Gifts for techies
Smart gadgets for the plugged-in people on your list.
20. NanoLeaf modular smart lighting art, compatible with smart home devices
21. Ember temperature control mugs
22. Click and Grow automated indoor gardens
Gifts for activists
Woke picks for resisters.
23. The Outrage activist button pack
24. Otherwild Women in Congress t-shirt
25. Shrill Society Nasty Woman print featuring Serena Williams
Gifts for booklovers
Books and book-adjacent gifts for avid readers.
26. Ideal Bookshelf Jane Austen book pins
27. Kitaabworld children’s stories from South Asian cultures
28. Frostbeard Studio booklovers’ soy candles
Gifts for beauty bingers
Indie brand alternatives to big-box beauty.
29. Pattern by Tracee Ellis Ross Winter Care Bundle for curly and textured hair
30. Fluide makeup for all gender expressions & skin tones
31. Vitaclean aromatherapy vitamin C filtering shower head
Gifts for dogs and their people
Fetching finds for furry friends.
32. Wild One designer pet accessories
33. Crown & Paw regal pet portraits
34. Wildebeest floofy Meadow Dog Bed
Gifts for cats and their people
More cool cat, less crazy cat lady.
35. Tuft + Paw modern cat furniture
36. Cat in Berlin dapper cat bowties
37. Oh My Cat eco felt catnip toys
Gifts for vintage lovers
Throwback gift ideas for old souls.
38. BLK MKT Vintage artifacts from Black history
39. Erica Weiner one-of-a-kind vintage jewellery
40. F as in Frank vintage snapback hats
Gifts for outdoorsy people
Get-outside gear for tree-huggers and mountain-scalers.
41. MOVA cycling jacket
42. Brant & Cochran handcrafted camping axes
43. Aspen Expeditions rock climbing experiences
Gifts for active people
These picks are sure to induce sweating—in a good way. Namaste.
44. B YOGA B Mat extra sticky yoga mats
45. Moxie Skates custom roller skates
46. Barbell Apparel training sweats
Gifts for makers
Do-it-yourself kits, patterns, and supplies for busy hands.
47. Thread Theory menswear sewing patterns
48. Urban Cheesecraft cheese-making kits (including paleo and dairy-free versions)
49. Leaf & Clay succulents (and everything you need to build your own mini-garden)
Gifts for audiophiles
Ear candy and audio tech for music lovers.
50. Turntable Labs Slipmat Record Mat
51. Bayan Audio Bluetooth speakers
52. Vinyl Moon monthly vinyl discovery subscription box
53. Master & Dynamic wireless headphones
Gifts for vegans
Animal-free beauty, bedding, and bomber jackets.
54. Almond Cow plant-based milk-maker
55. Vaute animal-free super warm winter coat
56. Buffy better-than-down eucalyptus duvet
57. Petit Vour cruelty-free and vegan beauty gift boxes
Gifts for people who have everything
Or do they?
58. Hops Collective Beer of the Month Subscription
59. Gravity weighted blanket
60. National Geographic personalized map of your town
Gifts for Secret Santas—under $25
Budget-friendly finds for second cousins or colleagues you barely know.
61. Frères Branchiaux (a kid-owned company) Chunky Sweater Candle $18
62. Areaware Cubebots $20
63. Vena’s Fizz House cocktail (or mocktail) bitters, from $10
Gifts—and stocking stuffers—under $15
Little luxuries that know how to fill a sock.
64. Zandra all-over Big Balms $11
65. Goldilocks beeswax food wraps $12
66. Stojo 8oz reusable cup $8
67. Drake General Store Arborist Weekday Socks in color block $12
68. Alicja Confections postcard chocolate bars $9
To ensure your gift arrives on time, please check the Christmas shipping cut-off dates posted by each independent business featured. And, feel free to bookmark this list for gift giving ideas all year round.
What are your favorite independent shops? Drop more gift ideas in the comments below.
Thank you to Liz Bertorelli for her contributions.