Shopify is a fast-growing commerce company currently powering over 500,000 stores in more than 175 different countries. Merchants use our software to power their business across multiple sales channels, including web, tablet and mobile storefronts, through social media and marketplaces, and in their brick-and-mortar and pop-up shops. As Shopify continues to expand globally and the volume of our transactions increases, we’re looking to add a book and street-smart Assistant Controller to our finance team!
You’ll need to have:
- A bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting
- Minimum 6 years accounting experience and a professional accounting designation (CPA)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical skills, with the ability to exercise good judgment and make decisions based on accurate and timely analysis
- Experience using Excel at an expert level
- A proven attention to detail and an ability to work independently
- An ability to prioritize your workload and a flexible/adaptable nature that will thrive in Shopify's fast paced environment
- Experience managing employees
It’ll be great if you have experience in:
- Working in a controllership role at a publicly listed or multi-national company
- Knowledge of SaaS industry and relevant metrics
- Excellent knowledge of US GAAP, SEC rules and regulations, and internal controls
- Working with international subsidiaries
- Working with R&D teams
- Getting shit done with quality
You will be working on things like:
- Managing revenue recognition and reporting, and preparing monthly revenue reports for the executive team and the board of directors
- Assisting in the completion of international financial reports and supporting related audits
- Managing Shopify's equity accounting and administration
- Managing and contributing to the development of Shopify's internal billing and revenue recognition software
- Overseeing the accounting for our leases and commitments
- Managing and completing various aspects of the month, quarter and year-end close processes
- Assisting in the formulation of internal controls and policies
- Other project-based work which could include: optimizing accounting workflows, assisting in business acquisitions, assisting in contract negotiations, analysis projects
Here's how to apply:
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce, click the “Apply now” button to submit your application. Please address your cover letter to Darryl.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.
Not what you’re looking for?
Don’t worry, we’re growing and exciting jobs come up often. Sign up to receive email updates when other Finance & Accounting jobs are posted.