About the role
Shopify has grown exponentially over the past few years, and incredible growth means that we need incredible support for our many office spaces. Our AV Infrastructure team focuses on all things audio-visual at Shopify to support our internal and external communications. We are looking for someone to strengthen our New Build, Infrastructure team. The ideal candidate is talented at designing and programming complex AV systems from scratch, and loves seeing a system progress from an idea, to a drawing, to a build, and finally, to a finished working system. Our team works on a variety of systems including meeting rooms, conferencing, event spaces, live-streaming rigs, and unique AV installations. Our team is super passionate about AV and technology, so you need to be, too!
You'll have to:
- Design and build modern AV systems for meeting rooms, conferencing, events and live-streaming from the ground up
- Implement existing designs into spaces
- Program simple to complex Crestron and audio DSP systems for efficient and impressive usability and performance
- Draft schematics and diagrams using software like Autocad, Revit, Lucid Chart etc
- Work in a dynamic team where roles are fluid but goals are unified
- Be open to a flexible work schedule as we often have to work around our user’s needs
- Work very closely with other teams, including Broadcast, R&D, and Support to receive critical feedback on day to day performance and find new ways to improve our AV systems
It'd be great if you have:
- Several years of experience working in an AV integration role building and deploying new AV systems
- Intermediate level Crestron programming skills and have programmed multiple systems controlling things like projectors, screens, DSPs, blinds, lighting, switchers and video equipment
- Audio DSP programming experience on equipment from QSC, Biamp, BSS or similar
- An understanding of technical concepts like serial data communication, TCP/IP, baud rates, IP addressing, subnetting, EDID, HDCP, and also more physical procedures like infrastructure rough-in, cabling, rack building, system troubleshooting and system verification (our vendors do most of the physical work, but proper understanding of the build process is crucial)
- Knowledge of AV industry standards, manufacturers and technologies
- Experience working in an environment where almost all AV equipment is connected to a network. Having worked with things like Dante, AES67, audio, and video over IP, video streaming, digital signage and video walls is a major plus.
You'll be doing things like:
- A typical day in this role could see being at your desk for a few hours working on some new designs, followed by a few meetings and calls with some of our other talented Internal Operations teams like the Design, Construction, IT and Network teams. Then, perhaps, heading onsite to a new build for some site meetings. You may then finish off your day with some research on a new technology and a sync with other AV teams. We spend a ton of time learning, discussing and training to become better technicians and a better team all around.
We understand skills are interchangeable and varied in the AV industry. If you think you have most but not all the skills required and are super ambitious then please get in touch!
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
Please address your application to Marc. This posting will close on January 27th at 9:00am, EST.