About the role
If you are applying from outside the Shopify careers page, please apply through our careers page (https://internships.shopify.com/) to ensure you are completing all application components.
As an intern at Shopify, you will be fully integrated into your team. In addition, mentorship will be available as you join 7000+ people who are serious about personal growth and learning.
We value high trust and flexibility (it’s always been a part of our culture) and if you’re expecting to be told exactly what to do, Shopify may not be the place for you. We don’t claim to have all the answers, and that’s why we look for independent thinkers, collaborators, and people hungry to grow alongside their team. Find out more about our past interns experiences, watch our Intern Diaries video, and learn more about how we approach mentorship at Shopify. We were also selected as one of WayUp’s Top 100 Intern Employers!
We’re looking for Backend Developers with a passion for solving tough problems with performant code. Shopify is the largest Rails application in the world, we're a big part of the Rails community, and we’re constantly improving our codebase to make it even better. We ship on quality instead of on time, our teams deploy new code many times a day, and our production scale is massive (we’re talking well over a million online stores, and hundreds of millions of requests a day)! Thousands of entrepreneurs will see your work within seconds – a difficult but incredibly rewarding responsibility.
Shopify internships are 3-month, 4-month, or 8-month paid terms, and are open to students, co-ops, recent graduates, and those in the early stage of their engineering/development careers.
This posting will close on Sunday, May 22nd, 2022 at 11:59PM EST. Applications will be reviewed and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. Applications will not be accepted after the deadline.
- You love challenging yourself with projects or hacking just for fun.
You are a constant learner with a passion for solving tough problems with code.
You take ownership of the projects you work on and enjoy research and figuring out how pieces of an entire project work.
You take pride in creating simple solutions to complex problems and have a strong commitment to quality.
You enjoy working in fast-paced environments and love making an impact.
You are an exceptional communicator with the ability to translate technical concepts into easy to understand language for our stakeholders.
You are excited to be working with a remote team; you value collaborating on problems, asking questions, and supporting others in their goals whether they are in your vicinity or entire cities apart.
Mandatory details for application below.
In your application:
1. Include your resume.
2. To showcase your skills and to help us get a better understanding of your programming knowledge, submit the mandatory Shopify Backend Developer Intern Challenge and attach it to the application titled "Shopify Technical Challenge Submission (link)". Candidates that only submit their general Github link without a challenge will not be considered. Please ensure that the challenge is complete before you submit your application, as recruiters will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis. Challenge submission is mandatory in order to be considered.
3. We're always looking to see where passion and engagement shows itself in all aspects of your life. Please answer the questions outlined in the application to tell us more about yourself!
If you were to open a Shopify store, what would you sell and why (or tell us about your store if you have one!) (200 word limit)
Any last thoughts? (ie. proud accomplishments, cool ideas, a joke, etc.) (200 word limit)
The Hiring Process:
1. Candidates that move beyond the initial application stage will be invited to a “Life Story” interview with a Recruiter on the Intern Program team.
2. After the Life Story, successful candidates will be invited to a technical interview with two (2) Shopify Backend Developers, 60 minutes each. You will be informed in advance of the interview of what you need to bring.
3. After the technical interview, successful candidates are placed on teams based on their interests, skills and experience - each placement is done individually and with significant consideration.
Application screening will be on a rolling basis, with Life Stories happening throughout May, technical interviews throughout June and July, and final hiring decisions made by or before late July.
This posting will close on Sunday, May 22nd, 2022 at 11:59PM EST.
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.
How we hire
Not what you’re looking for?Check out these similar roles.
|Data Science Intern - Fall 2022 (Remote, US & Canada)||Internships||Americas|
|Mobile Developer Intern - Fall 2022 (Remote US & Canada)||Internships||Americas|
|Production Engineer Intern - Fall 2022 (Remote US & Canada)||Internships||Americas|
|Frontend Developer Intern - Fall 2022 (Remote US & Canada)||Internships||Americas|
|Data Engineer Intern - Fall 2022 (Remote, US & Canada)||Internships||Americas|
|Content Design Intern - Fall 2022 (Remote, US & Canada)||Internships||Americas|
|Product Design Intern - Fall 2022 (Remote, US & Canada)||Internships||Americas|