Business Development Representative - Outbound - Fluent English and Spanish
- Barcelona, Spain
- Sales and Account Management
Opportunity is not evenly distributed. Shopify puts independence within reach for anyone with a dream to start a business. We propel entrepreneurs and enterprises to scale the heights of their potential. Since 2006, we’ve grown to 10,000 employees and generated over $496 billion in sales for millions of merchants in 175 countries.
This is life-defining work that directly impacts people’s lives as much as it transforms your own. This is putting the power of the few in the hands of the many, is a future with more voices rather than fewer, and is creating more choices instead of an elite option.
Moving at our pace brings a lot of change, complexity, and ambiguity—and a little bit of chaos. Shopifolk thrive on that and are comfortable being uncomfortable. That means Shopify is not the right place for everyone.
- Care deeply about what you do and about making commerce better for everyone
- Excel by seeking professional and personal hypergrowth
- Keep up with an unrelenting pace (the week, not the quarter)
- Be resilient and resourceful in face of ambiguity and thrive on (rather than endure) change
- Bring critical thought and opinion
- Embrace differences and disagreement to get shit done and move forward
- Work digital-first for your daily work
About the role
Shopify is looking for a quick-thinking, vibrant and naturally curious individual to join our EMEA Outbound Team as a Business Development Representative (BDR).
In this role, you generate new sales opportunities and add qualified leads to the sales funnel. As a BDR you are responsible for prospecting including cold outreach via phone, email and text , following up, and passing on qualified leads to the Sales Team who will convert them into new customers. You will also be responsible for keeping up-to-date with new commerce trends and developing an understanding of our product offerings to help more merchants grow on Shopify.
At Shopify, there is a unique opportunity for high-impact sales professionals to build a career with a company that will continually provide opportunities for growth. You will be the merchant’s dedicated point of contact during the qualification period and your work will make a direct impact on our goals to make commerce better for everyone.
You'll work on things like:
- Meet or exceed assigned daily activity minimums to fulfill quarterly expectations
- Merchant facing; generate leads and conduct pre-qualified calls with prospective merchants
- Schedule discovery calls for Shopify AEs
- Maintain active engagement with new and existing leads through CRM, Salesforce and Salesloft
- Generate interest in the Shopify platform
- Create a positive and valuable first impression to merchants by providing an unrivaled merchant experience
- Contribute to building culture and upholding Shopify values
- Liaising with your peers across the world in other markets to refine processes and consistently evolve the scope of the role
- Working with your lead to up-skill in areas of professional and personal development including special personal projects to assist and impact the Revenue Acceleration team
- Building your Shopify platform knowledge - a platform expert!
You’ll need to have:
- Languages requirements: fluency in Spanish and English is mandatory
- Outbound prospecting experience - generate new business pipeline through cold calling and emailing
- Ability to clearly and effectively communicate Shopify’s value proposition and handle objections
- Demonstrate excellent written/verbal communication skills
- Build key relationships and collaborate with Shopify AEs on their respective territory accounts through account research, strategy, and outreach
- An understanding of customer needs and to meet those individual needs with proper introductions to our Shopify AEs
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, and manage time effectively
- High professionalism; Be a self-motivated, driven and positive individual
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and adapt to change
- Strong process improvement skills to help develop the role as things change with the business
- Nice to have experience: CRM, Salesforce, Salesloft, ZoomInfo, LinkedIn Sales Navigator.
The shape of a Shopify career
Ben joined Shopify as a frontline Support Advisor with no background in programming or computer science. He’s now a Director of Engineering. Spanning 10 jobs on 7 teams in 9 years, Ben’s Shopify career path has twisted and turned as he’s worked relentlessly to pursue a career as an engineer and adapted to the pace of change—all fuelled by personal and professional hypergrowth.
Ben’s growth trajectory
- A support advisor for 2 years
- Studied dev skills. Learnt about our API. Became first API support person. Found bugs to fix.
- Eventually became a software dev
- Helped launch first finance product for merchants
- Became senior dev and launched new support contact centre
- Led a team as a dev manager
- Scaled a team from 4 to 60+ as a senior dev manager
- Became Director for Support and CX Engineering