Cloud Engineer - Production Engineering
Ottawa or Remote
At Shopify we run hundreds of apps that help to make commerce better for everyone. To support our development team moving quickly and building for the long term, our CloudPlatform team is creating a PaaS on top of Kubernetes. Our objective is to create a simple to use system that can allow for rapid prototyping, while simultaneously being powerful and customizable enough to incubate new ideas from inception to global scale.
Why/How you will have an impact
You will work among other Production Engineering teams to provider a core service that all developers and all services at Shopify will use. This will be used to empower new features and ensure reliability across the entire company.
Who you will work with:
- David Radcliffe
- Dale Hamel
- Niko Kurtti
- Daniel Turner
- Katrina Verey
- Karan Thukral
- Martin Kobetic
- Stefan Budeanu
- Camilo Lopez
- And the rest of the amazing Production Engineering team!
What you’ll need to have to tackle this role:
- Awesome programming skills. We usually work with Ruby and Go, but experience in any language works.
- Ability to learn new languages, software, frameworks and APIs
- Debugging distributed systems and real-time problem solving skills
- An understanding of what it’s like to build an app, to bridge the gap between an app and the system that runs it
- Familiarity with commercial PaaS systems, such as Heroku
- Experience with scaling system architecture and knowledge of orchestration tools such as Mesos or Kubernetes
It’d be pretty cool if you had:
- Experience with Ruby and/or Rails
- Experience developing monitoring, tooling and alerting for high scale, high availability systems
- Professional knowledge of a major cloud provider (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud)
- Experience with resiliency and capacity planning of large internet services
Some things you’ll likely be doing in the first few months:
- Deploying tooling or applications to multiple clusters
- Migrating workloads between clusters
- Productizing resilient operational patterns
- Working as part of the engineering team to build and scale distributed, multi-region systems
- Investigating and resolving production issues
- Building self-service tooling for engineers to automate the configuration and monitoring of infrastructure
The 🛠 ‘s you will use include: Go, Kubernetes, Docker, Google Cloud, AWS, GitHub, Ruby, Rails, MySQL, Redis, Memcached, Nginx
There is an on-call component to this role. You will share an on-call rotation alongside your team. We like to fix things right when they break, even if it means doing it in our jammies.
How to Apply 📄 ➡️ 📬
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce at Shopify, click the “Apply Now” button to submit your application. Please address your application to Jess.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.
Not what you’re looking for?
Don’t worry, we’re growing and exciting jobs come up often. Sign up to receive email updates when other Production Engineering jobs are posted.