Content Strategist, Merchant Reporting
We’re looking for an experienced UX-focused content strategist to plan and create interface content for Shopify merchant reporting. This position requires deep understanding of the role language plays in the UX design process, and experience working on complex information architecture (IA) projects. This isn’t a marketing or social media role.
Shopify merchants use hundreds of data points to understand how their businesses are performing. Making sense of all that data is one of their biggest challenges. The merchant reporting team’s mission is to build the best place for merchants to find meaning, insights and data about their business.
About UX at Shopify
The UX team at Shopify is obsessed with enabling commerce at a global scale. We create tools that give even the most inexperienced entrepreneur the best chance to succeed. At the same time, we design solutions that help some of the world’s leading businesses manage enormous complexity. Making commerce better for everyone, no matter where they’re located or their level of experience, is our passion. It’s what we come to work every morning excited to tackle. Our team is made up of over 200 designers, content strategists, researchers, and front-end developers across 5 offices. Although everyone who works at Shopify is responsible for building great experiences, the design team has a special role in building understanding and empathy for merchants. We believe in testing, iteration, and in giving people the room to experiment and grow.We’re always on the lookout for people who are excited to work on hard problems at a global scale in a friendly, collaborative environment. If this sounds familiar, we’d love to hear from you.
Content strategists at Shopify:
- Write clear, concise content that makes our product interfaces easier to use
- Discuss and validate their content recommendations
- Collaborate with designers, developers, researchers, and product managers to create products that help merchants improve their businesses
- Evolve and build the editorial and voice and tone across our products
- Brainstorm, plan, and contribute to developing new features, and continuously improve what we have today
- Use qualitative and quantitative research to make informed product decisions
- Plan navigational approaches, think through language from a system-perspective, and define information architectures across complex products
- Advocate for the role content plays in product design across the company
- Empower everyone who works at Shopify to write their own great content by contributing to training, learning resources, and other support opportunities
You should have:
- At least 3 years of dedicated content strategy experience in a product-focused environment.
- Specific experience working on improving the information architecture of a website or product, and knowledge of common IA tools and techniques
- Experience working with cross-functional teams including UX designers, researchers, and engineers
- Worked in a content role where you've had to write and structure language to respond to audience needs
- A portfolio of work you've done. It's a bonus if you have samples that show interface content or microcopy
- Created, implemented, and maintained content standards across an organization
- A foundational understanding of user-centered design techniques and how to apply them.
- It’s a bonus if you have experience working on data visualization or analytics-related problems
What’s in it for you:
- A collaborative, creative environment where we value experimentation and learning
- Autonomy. We don’t believe in micro-management
- A healthy work-life balance with benefits such as a gym allowance, parental leave, childcare benefits, flexible work hours, and catered meals to give you more time for the things you care about most
- Being part of a UX team that’s tackling design challenges on a global scale—we’re genuinely committed to making commerce better for everyone, no matter where they’re located or their experience level
- Learning and growing with the best in the business and getting the support you need to do the best work of your career
- A culture that values authenticity, openness, and diversity
Here's how to apply:
If you want to help us shape the future of commerce, select Apply now to submit your application. Please include a few samples of your previous work. If you really want to stand out, sign up for a free trial of Shopify and build a store. Share the link with us so we can take a look. Write a cover letter that tells us a bit about yourself and why you’re interested in working at Shopify. Please address it to Amy. If you have an online portfolio, feel free to link to it.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.
Not what you’re looking for?
Don’t worry, we’re growing and exciting jobs come up often. Sign up to receive email updates when other Design & UX jobs are posted.