About the role
About the role:
Shopify has redefined commerce, raising the standard for how businesses of all sizes operate, market, and sell their products and services. With over one million merchants in more than 175 different countries, powered by the most innovative commerce platform on the market, we continue to grow rapidly while constantly looking for new ways to impact and disrupt markets.
We’re looking for a Corporate Development Manager who has passion for startups, entrepreneurship, technology, and products. Working alongside Shopify’s leadership and executive teams, the Corporate Development Manager is responsible for identifying disruptive commerce experiences and accelerating Shopify's product roadmap through acquisitions and investments. We’re searching for someone who has the skill, curiosity and rigour required to drive new opportunity identification, evaluation and execution. This person must also be highly organized, and be able to prioritize and balance work on various initiatives simultaneously.
We care about our work, but we also care about each other and having a positive work environment. In this role, you need to be comfortable with being uncomfortable, able to work with many different types of personalities to really connect with people, and know how to work as a team player.
- Build context through deep understanding of Shopify’s product roadmap. You’ll use this context to identify risks and opportunities to Shopify from partner relationships, and to facilitate executive decision making on strategic partners
- Meet with startups, evaluate new products & technologies, and map ecosystems
- Drive projects forward by collaborating with internal stakeholders, developing recommendations and output materials, and presenting key deliverables
- Execute financial analysis, modelling and valuation to support business cases and inform deal structures/negotiations
- Conduct due diligence and create all necessary materials/memos for mergers and acquisition consideration, for review by leadership and executive teams
- Provide acquisition transaction support including negotiating with external parties, project management, and integration planning
Requirements for the Role
- Great relationship skills. You are a people person who has a track record of building trust quickly, and who is confident in working with and bringing together stakeholders at leadership and executive levels
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills. You’re comfortable drafting documents, creating impactful decks, and making presentations using business acumen, creativity and collegiality to key stakeholders (internally and externally), including our executive team
- A highly analytical mindset. You have experience modelling the economics of relationships and a deep understanding of value exchange
- A genuine excitement for and interest in product and technology
- Experience working at an Internet, e-commerce, and/or cloud company
- Experience aligning and driving cross-functional groups
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Bram Sugarman, Director of Corporate Development, is looking forward to reading your cover letter.
This posting will close on Wednesday, May 27, 2020 at 5 PM EDT.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.