About the role
Here at Shopify we are working towards our mission of making commerce better for everyone, and empowering entrepreneurship everywhere. We are looking for a Country Manager for our International Growth product line to lead our growth in China. This is a unique and exciting opportunity to build and lead our market strategies in China and help establish Shopify’s presence in the market as well as elevate our merchants' experience.
As our Country Manager, you will be leading team members in China who are in commercial, partner-oriented roles, and enterprise-oriented roles, meaning you will be able to not only bring our products to market but also help Shopify engineer the best possible experience for merchants and partners in China. There are only a few times in our lives when we will truly have the opportunity to make a huge impact and use our skills to contribute at a global scale. This is what we do every day at Shopify.
Our team is made up of people who go above and beyond every single day. We’re growing quickly, so there are plenty of opportunities to learn and advance. You’ll have the creative freedom to make a real difference in the world of commerce, the support to be your authentic self, and the chance to work with some of the best in the business. All of that for the goal to promote entrepreneurship and help merchants thrive no matter where they are in their journey to independence.
What you will do here:
- Your job will be to make Shopify the leading commerce platform in China for entrepreneurs and SMB’s, meaning you will execute and further develop our local strategy to achieve that.
- You will grow and lead a team of high performing individuals across a variety of go-to-market functions, including: partnerships, business development, and enterprise team.
- You will grow our brand locally by driving high impact partnerships and representing Shopify as the local spokesperson.
- You will do business analysis, generate insights, do business planning, and manage cross-functional projects.
- You will oversee functions like talent, marketing in China, and also build and foster relationships across the entire company, (e.g. with other functions such as marketing, communications, RnD and support).
Who you are:
- You are a native speaker of Chinese with high English fluency.
- You have worked in the E-commerce industry, and have a strong understanding of the Chinese e-commerce ecosystems for import, export, and domestic (e.g. payments, logistics, technologies).
- You have experience in management consulting, project management, business development in a top tier consultancy, software company, startup or a similar organization.
- Your experience in SaaS is a plus.
- You have hired and coached high performing, cross-functional individual performers across multiple domains of expertise including: marketing, growth, RnD, and support.
- You have led a multidisciplinary team.
- You have demonstrated strong stakeholder management skills in key projects across internal functions and with external partners, and possess the ability to work with a diverse set of people.
- You have been accountable for a P&L: responsible for headcount, budgeting, setting and meeting financial targets.
- You are not afraid to roll up your sleeves and dig deep into complex problems.
- You have experience working for a global company (possibly even remote to HQ) and are comfortable communicating with executive leadership on the status of your country's progress.
- You have an entrepreneurial mind; if you’ve started a business of your own before, that would be great.
- You believe in leading by influence, not authority.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Please send us your resume in both English and Chinese. We are looking forward to reading your application and hearing your interest in helping shape the future of e-commerce in China.