About the role
Here at Shopify we are working towards our mission of making commerce better for everyone and empowering entrepreneurship, everywhere. We are looking for a Country Manager to lead our growth into Germany, and help us elevate our merchants experience.
Shopify's brand is new here, so you will get to work closely with the local community of merchants and partners to create awareness, design educational programs and build strong partnerships. You also need to be product-minded to help inform our product localization roadmap to ensure a perfect product-market-fit.
As of today, Shopify has over 1,000,000 merchants in 175+ countries and over 100,000 in Europe using our software to set up and run their businesses across multiple sales channels including: web, mobile, social media, marketplaces, brick-and-mortar locations, and pop-up shops and this role is critical to helping us achieve our growth goals in Germany.
We're rapidly building a local cross-functional team in Berlin capable of acting on country specific growth opportunities, supported by teams in Canada.
Why is this exciting?
You will be leading team members who are in commercial and partner-oriented as well as product management roles, meaning you will be able to not only bring our products to market but also help Shopify engineer the best possible experience for merchants and partners in Germany. There are only a few times in our lives when we will truly have the opportunity to make a huge impact and use our skills to contribute at a global scale. This is what we do every day at Shopify.
Our team is made up of people who go above and beyond every single day. We’re growing quickly, so there are plenty of opportunities to learn and advance. You’ll have the creative freedom to make a real difference in the world of commerce, the support to be your authentic self, and the chance to work with some of the best in the business. All of that for the goal to promote entrepreneurship and help merchants thrive no matter where they are in their journey to independence.
What would you do here?
- As Country Manager, you will report to Shopify’s European Markets Lead.
- Your job will be to make Shopify the leading commerce platform in Germany for entrepreneurs and SMB’s, meaning you will execute and further develop our local strategy to achieve that.
- You will grow and lead a team of high performing individuals across a variety of go-to-market functions including: Partnerships, Business Development, and Product Management.
- You will grow our brand locally by driving high impact partnerships and representing Shopify as the local spokesperson.
- In this role, you will do business analysis, generate insights, do business planning and manage cross-functional projects.
- Build and foster relationships across the company, e.g. with other functions such as marketing, communications, RnD and support.
Who are you?
- You are living in or willing to relocate to Berlin.
- You have experience in management consulting, project management, business development in a top tier consultancy, software company, startup or a similar organization. Your experience in SaaS is a plus.
- You have hired and coached high performing, cross-functional individuals performers across multiple domains of expertise including: marketing, growth, RnD, and support.
- Have led a multidisciplinary team of up to 15 people.
- Demonstrated strong stakeholder management skills in key projects across internal functions and with external partners and possess the ability to work with a diverse set of people.
- You have been accountable for a P&L: responsible for headcount, budgeting, setting and meeting financial targets.
- You’re not afraid to roll up your sleeves and dig deep into complex problems.
- You’re a strong communicator in both languages (English and German) with experience working for a global company (possibly even remote to HQ) and are comfortable communicating with executive leadership on the status of your country's progress.
- You believe in leading by influence, not authority.
Here's how to apply:
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce, click the “Apply for this job” button to submit your application.
This job posting will be open until we hire the right candidate. We have a commitment to respond to applications within 2 weeks and we look forward to reviewing your application!
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.