About the role
At Shopify, we recognize that after our people, our most important asset is our data. With over 10+ years of aggregate ecommerce data, we are driven by the potential insights that our data can provide.
Our 1,000,000+ merchants process over $72 billion in gross merchandise volume through our platform, and depend on us to deliver insights that enable them to grow their business.
The Stockholm team is working on one of Shopify’s biggest endeavours in 2020 - a stealth new consumer-focused product - and we’re looking for a passionate Data Science leader to drive the data strategy for the product and the user experiences. This role will focus on delivering meaningful insights and solutions to help improve the product, optimize the buyer and merchant journeys, and drive growth.
As the founding member of the data team in Stockholm, be part of crafting the vision of the product and the data organisation in this office as well as have the opportunity to build your own team.
- Define and guide the short-term and long-term data strategy for the team
- Partner with other functional teams such as Engineering, Product, and Design to identify unsolved user and business needs resulting in data powered solutions that scale
- Cultivate a data-informed culture and deliver meaningful insights that drive product roadmaps and optimize business strategies
- Drive excellent practices for establishing metrics and KPIs to drive cross-functional alignment
- Hire, lead, mentor, and guide your team of Data Scientists, helping them develop their analytical and leadership skills
- Collaborate with peer leaders across the broader Data organization to improve and drive the team-wide Data Science & Engineering vision
- Experience building, leading and managing high performance Data Science teams
- Excellent problem solving and analysis skills combined with the ability to synthesize and effectively communicate findings to both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- An entrepreneurial mindset. You must be comfortable rolling up your sleeves, thriving in ambiguity, and getting the work done
- A tester mentality - you believe curiosity and experimentation is the best way to explore and find the best user experience
- A love for problems not solutions - you lean towards simple ways to solve problems rather than complicated solutions
- Shipped production-grade models in previous roles
- Experience with Python (perhaps you haven’t been hands-on for a while since you’ve been leading a team - that’s totally ok!)
- Extensive experience with building data pipelines and ETL design
- Experience with statistical methods like regressions, GLMs, experiment design and shipping productionized machine learning systems at scale
Applications close: 31 March 2020
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.