About the role
Shopify has redefined commerce, raising the standard for how businesses of all sizes operate, market, and sell their products and services. With over 1 million merchants in more than 175 different countries, powered by the most innovative platform on the market, we continue to grow rapidly while constantly looking for new ways to impact and disrupt markets.
The Data Science & Engineering team is growing, and we're looking for some seasoned Data Science Leaders to join us in our new Vancouver office!
The Data Science & Engineering team acts as the impact multiplier for Shopify’s product teams, putting over 11 petabytes of retail data to work to make our merchants more successful. From delivering merchandising insights, to optimizing shipping and processing rates, to reducing credit card fraud, to ad campaign recommendations - our Data Scientists deliver solutions from pipeline to platform. But what does “impact” really mean? For us it means solving merchant problems at scale. For example, most small businesses need additional funds at some point to grow their business. By algorithmically -predicting merchants’ growth potential, Shopify has facilitated over $500 million in capital funding to small business owners. That’s one of many different product-lines looking for Senior Data Scientists to partner with and help drive value for our merchants.
We’re looking for Data Science leaders to build Product Analytics teams to help make Shopify better for our merchants and their customers.
You’ll need to have experience with:
- Technical leadership and/or people management experience (you'll enjoy doing both). You can jump into the code to the level that your direct reports admire and respect, but are also interested in developing people and capacity for your team
- Experience creating data product strategies, shipping data products, iterating after launch, and trying again
- Extensive experience using Python including a strong grasp of object oriented programming (OOP) fundamentals
- Strong ability to prioritize and communicate to technical and non-technical audiences alike
That would be great if you have:
- Previous experience using Spark
- Experience with statistical methods like regression, GLMs or experiment design and analysis
- Exposure to Tableau, QlikView, Mode, Matplotlib, or similar data visualization tools
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce at Shopify, click the “Apply Now” button to submit your application. Please submit a resume and cover letter with your application. Make sure to tell us how you think you can make an impact at Shopify, and what drew you to Shopify and our Vancouver office!
Closing date: Friday, February 28th 6pm (ET).
(We’re super-excited to be opening up a Vancouver office and in terms of timing, we will start reviewing applications early in March.)
We are also hiring Data Science & Engineering leaders in all of our other Canadian cities and we fully support relocation! Check out: https://www.shopify.ca/careers/search?specialties%5B%5D=7&keywords=&sort=specialty_asc
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.