About the role
Data Science & Engineering is a crucial part of Shopify’s mission to make commerce better for everyone. We organize and interpret petabytes of data to provide solutions for our merchants and stakeholders across the organization. From pipelines and schema design to machine learning products and decision support, data science at Shopify is a diverse role with many opportunities to positively impact our success. The Data Science & Engineering team acts as the impact multiplier for Shopify’s product teams, putting over 11 petabytes of data to work to make our merchants more successful. From delivering merchandising insights, to optimizing shipping and processing rates, to reducing credit card fraud, to ad campaign recommendations - our Data Scientists deliver solutions from pipeline to platform via an array of open source tools.
We are looking for Data Science Managers to join our Data Science teams and help shape the insights and algorithms that will inform our strategies as we grow globally.
What your role will look like:
Partner closely with product, engineering and other RnD stakeholders to guide their decisions using data
Proactively identify and champion projects that solve complex problems across multiple domains
Apply specialized skills and fundamental data science methods (e.g. experimental design, recommender systems and machine learning when needed) to inform improvements to our business
Design and implement end-to-end data pipelines: work closely with stakeholders to build models, tables or schemas that support business processes
Empower teams to build and maintain actionable KPIs, production-quality dashboards, informative deep dives, and scalable data products
- 7-10 years of commercial experience as in a data science role solving high impact business problems, including 3+ years leading and maintaining high performance data science teams
- Experience building and managing high performance data science teams
- Experience delivering business impact through analysis and data products
- Experience building data pipelines and driving ETL design decisions
- Technical leadership and management experience (you enjoy doing both). You can jump into the code to the level that your direct reports admire and respect, but are also interested in developing people and capacity for your team
- Experience creating data product strategies, shipping data products, iterating after launch, and trying again
- Extensive experience using Python including a strong grasp of object oriented programming (OOP) fundamentals
- Strong ability to prioritize and communicate to technical and non-technical audiences alike
It would be great if you have:
- Previous experience using Spark (either via Scala or Pyspark)
- Experience with statistical methods like regression, GLMs or experiment design and analysis, shipping productionized machine learning systems or other advanced techniques are also welcome
- Experience with data storytelling using Tableau, QlikView, Mode, Matplotlib, D3, or similar data visualization tools
We know that looking for a new role can be both exciting and time-consuming, and we truly appreciate your effort. We want to know what you're really interested in building and why you want to build it at Shop, so please give us as much detail on this as you'd like in the answers on the next page.
As there are multiple positions, this posting will remain live until all positions have been filled. Successful candidates can expect to hear back from us within 2 weeks of application.
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.
How we hire
Not what you’re looking for?Check out these similar roles.
|Senior Data Engineer (Remote, EMEA)||Data Science & Engineering||EMEA|
|Tech Lead Machine Learning Data Engineer - Recommendations (Remote, Europe)||Data Science & Engineering||EMEA|
|Tech Lead Machine Learning Data Engineer - Recommendations (Remote, Israel)||Data Science & Engineering||EMEA|