About the role
At Shopify, we recognize that after our people, our most important asset is our data. With over 10+ years of aggregate ecommerce data, we are driven by the potential insights that our data can provide.
Our 1,000,000+ merchants process over $72 billion in gross merchandise volume through our platform, and depend on us to deliver insights that enable them to grow their business.
Shopify in Stockholm works on Shop- the new shopping assistant app helping the world #Shopbetter in every way. From real-time order tracking to accurate delivery updates, Shop offers visibility and peace of mind in one place. When users follow shops, Shop provides a personalized interface and spam-free recommendations for a better shopping experience. With support from our partner, Pachama and funding from the Shopify Sustainability fund, Shop offsets the carbon emissions from every Shop Pay delivery at no cost to our users.
The team, of 55 across various locations, are like a start up within an established company. Leadership team decides on key themes and teams get assigned to it. Then it's up to the team to solve the problem - means working closely with Engineering, Data, UX and PMs. Independent teams, with flexibility to make their own decisions and work autonomously. We share our work with the rest of the team during Friday demos.
- Define and guide the short-term and long-term data strategy for the team
- Partner with other functional teams such as Engineering, Product, and Design to identify unsolved user and business needs resulting in data powered solutions that scale
- Cultivate a data-informed culture and deliver meaningful insights that drive product roadmaps and optimize business strategies
- Drive excellent practices for establishing metrics and KPIs to drive cross-functional alignment
- Hire, lead, mentor, and guide your team of Data Scientists, helping them develop their analytical and leadership skills
- Collaborate with peer leaders across the broader Data organization to improve and drive the team-wide Data Science & Engineering vision
- Experience building, leading and managing high performance Data Science teams
- Excellent problem solving and analysis skills combined with the ability to synthesize and effectively communicate findings to both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- An entrepreneurial mindset. You must be comfortable rolling up your sleeves, thriving in ambiguity, and getting the work done
- A tester mentality - you believe curiosity and experimentation is the best way to explore and find the best user experience
- A love for problems not solutions - you lean towards simple ways to solve problems rather than complicated solutions
- Shipped production-grade models in previous roles
- Experience with Python (perhaps you haven’t been hands-on for a while since you’ve been leading a team - that’s totally ok!)
- Extensive experience with building data pipelines and ETL design
- Experience with statistical methods like regressions, GLMs, experiment design and shipping productionized machine learning systems at scale
We know that applying for a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. We're looking forward to reading your application. This posting will close on Friday 10 July, 5pm CET.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.