About the role
At Shopify, we build products that help entrepreneurs around the world start and grow their business. We’re the world’s fastest growing commerce platform with over 1 million merchants in more than 175 different countries, with solutions from point-of-sale and online commerce to financial, shipping logistics and marketing. Our mission? To make commerce better for everyone.
Data is a crucial part of Shopify’s mission to make commerce better for everyone. We organize and interpret petabytes of data to provide solutions for our merchants and stakeholders across the organisation. From pipelines and schema design to machine learning products and decision support, data science at Shopify is a diverse role with many opportunities to positively impact our success.
Delivering meaningful insights and predictive recommendations that help guide a business owner around product, marketing, logistics, finance and customers decisions is a huge opportunity. You and your team’s mandate involves developing and scaling these insights across 1M+ businesses, countless product types, geographies, and sizes of merchants. Most of those businesses are too small to staff a team focused on understanding their data, but you can help all of them to leverage advanced analytics and machine learning to make better decisions and succeed in competitive markets.
We are looking for a talented Data Science Manager to grow and develop Shopify's first data science team across the Asia Pacific region and to help us better understand our merchants and buyers in this region, so we can help them on their journey. In doing so you will work cross functionally with our product and commercial teams in this region, and educate wider Shopify about this multi-faceted and varied region of the globe.
This role is to be based within Asia-Pacific (APAC), preferably in Singapore or Australia.
- To build our data science function across APAC.
- Partner closely with commercial leaders in APAC to influence RnD and commercial program decisions with data
- Advocate for, and be willing to educate wider Shopify about APAC market nuances
- Proactively identify and champion projects that solve complex problems across multiple domains
- Apply specialized skills and fundamental data science methods (e.g. regression, survival analysis, segmentation, experimentation, and machine learning when needed) to inform improvements to our business
- Design and implement end-to-end data pipelines: work closely with stakeholders to build instrumentation and define dimensional models, tables or schemas that support business processes
- Build actionable KPIs, production-quality dashboards, informative deep dives, and scalable data products
You will need to have:
- 4+ years managing high performance data science teams
- 8+ years delivering business impact through analysis and data products
- Extensive experience with SQL and Python (or similar languages)
- Extensive experience with data pipelines and ETL design
- Experience with statistical methods like regressions, GLMs, experiment design and shipping productionized machine learning systems at scale
- Experience with Tableau, Mode, or similar data visualization tools
You should have one or more of:
- Deep understanding of advanced SQL techniques
- Exposure to Tableau, QlikView, Mode, Matplotlib, or similar data visualization tools
- Previous experience using Spark
- Experience with statistical methods like regression, GLMs or experiment design and analysis
- Experience launching productionized machine learning models at scale
- Extensive domain experience in e-commerce, marketing or SaaS
If you’re interested in helping Shopify shape the future of commerce, click the “Apply now” button to submit your application.
You will receive a response from us within 2-3 weeks of your application, regardless of the outcome.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our 2019 Sustainability Report to learn more about Shopify's commitments.
Interested, but not ready to apply?
Join the Shopify Talent Community today by clicking here to learn more about Shopify.