Design Intern - Summer 2018
Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo
We welcome design interns from all backgrounds, whether you’re a student leveling up or a professional transitioning from another industry. A portfolio is considered a great asset, but not a requirement for the internship. The summer internship is a paid work term and will run May 7th- August 24th 2018.
We will be accepting applications until 9:00 AM EST on Monday January 29th 2018. You will be contacted about the status of your application after this date.
Who we are:
We are a team of 60+ designers and our products are used by over 500k merchants every day. These entrepreneurs rely on Shopify to provide them with the tools they need to run their business. Creating beautiful products includes identifying the right problems, performing research, prototyping solutions, and shipping features (sometimes all in the same week). The Shopify design internship program is an opportunity for new designers to take ownership over their projects and to collaborate with other creatives, UX researchers and engineers, on a multi-disciplinary team.
* Be paired with a dedicated mentor who is committed to supporting your success and growing your skills through consistent feedback
* Pick up the tricks of the trade by working closely with highly-skilled designers
* Learn how to approach complex problems and design elegant solutions
* Be an active part of every stage of the design process: from idea to research, building, shipping, and launch
* The ability to clearly present your point of view, express ideas, and accept feedback
* A passion for unpacking and solving complex problems
* A soft spot for the end user - advocating for them in all areas of your work is core to what you do
* Proficiency with Photoshop, Illustrator, or Sketch
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.
Before hitting "Apply"
Help us learn more about you. Please write a cover letter and address it to Lauren; there's no need to make it formal, let your personality shine through and tell us why you want to work at Shopify! If you happen to have a design portfolio, include that too!
Please also complete the following design challenge. Applications without a design challenge submission will not be considered.
Wrap up your project and portfolio in a ZIP file labelled FirstnameLastname.zip and include it with your application. In this ZIP file, please do not include anything with personally identifying information (photo, fullname, etc). Our designers will be assessing your task submission anonymously, so it is important that you follow this step!
Not what you’re looking for?
Don’t worry, we’re growing and exciting jobs come up often. Sign up to receive email updates when other Internships jobs are posted.