Design Lead, Communications
As a Design Lead, you’ll be primarily responsible for mentoring a team of designers. You support and guide them through projects to ensure the quality of their work is of the highest standard. You help them grow in their careers over time by investing in their craft and related skills. You support and build UX within Shopify by solving problems related to scale, quality, and process.
It's important to us that our leads stay close to the practical aspects of their craft—we value those who can “walk the walk”. You’ll be spending time hands on with the work, helping to solve difficult problems and utilizing your experience and skill in design to ensure our communications are truly world-class.
We've put together a small showcase of recent projects to help give you an understanding of the types of work the UX team produces for Growth & Marketing teams at Shopify. You’ll be joining a diverse team of Brand Strategists, Marketing Specialists, Content Producers, Developers, and more to grow the number of customers using Shopify and the reach of Shopify the brand.
You'll be working on:
- Leading a growing and ever-changing design team.
- Managing timelines, resources, deliverables, and feedback from stakeholder teams.
- Helping to mentor and lead individuals through a fast-moving landscape while also providing growth opportunities.
- Evaluating and providing supportive and constructive feedback to your reports.
- Constantly pushing the bar for design quality within the team.
- Setting the direction and vision for the projects you are involved with.
- Contributing to the culture and discipline of design at Shopify.
You'll need to have:
- Experience directly managing a small team of designers, including identifying the right expertise needed, assigning resources, recruiting new members and helping them grow.
- Passion for solving design problems while wearing multiple hats and owning all facets of design (strategy, IA, art direction and interaction design).
- Demonstrable experience as a communications designer. You’ve worked on digital, print, branding, and commercial projects for marketing campaigns and owned media.
- Proficiency with Photoshop, Illustrator, and Sketch as well as a good understanding of HTML and CSS.
- An ability to collaborate well with developers, copywriters and other disciplines—at Shopify designers are responsible not only for the deliverables, but also ensuring that our ideas are carried through the process. We consider something finished once it’s shipped to our users.
If you're interested in this position please click "Apply Now" and include a link to your portfolio/Dribbble/Behance in the links section. Please make out your cover letter to Sophia!
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.
Not what you’re looking for?
Don’t worry, we’re growing and exciting jobs come up often. Sign up to receive email updates when other Design & UX jobs are posted.