About the role
About the Platform team
Shopify is the operating system of merchant’s businesses. Early on, we made the decision to build a Partner & Developer ecosystem to help merchants meet their unique needs by installing apps or hiring services. Commerce is so vast and each merchant has such unique needs that rely on these ecosystems to allow merchants to customize Shopify to their needs. Our team builds the tools and operations that enable this ecosystem.
“Commerce itself is becoming more complex. At Shopify, we know that our App Platform is mission critical for us to solve this complexity.” - Brandon Chu, VP of Platform
About the role
We’re looking for a Developer Advocate to work on building first-class developer experiences for our partners across all of Shopify’s platforms. You’ll represent the platform externally while also being the voice of our developer ecosystem internally.
You’ll work closely with teams from all disciplines within Shopify to provide guidance and important context, helping shape our suite of API products with our developers in mind. To gain this context, you’ll step into the shoes of our developers, and build your own applications that consume our APIs.
You’ll also engage with developers directly to gain a deep understanding of their use cases and needs. Through attending local meetups, speaking at conferences, and the production of Shopify Unite, you will build relationships with developers who are creating solutions on top of the platform you are shaping.
From API design to increasing adoption, you constantly seek out context and work to inject developer empathy into every phase of the development of Shopify’s platform. You drive API growth and define the developer experience through writing technical documentation, creating code examples, sample apps, and producing events and conferences.
- Be the voice of the developer, advocating for their needs to internal product teams
- Analyze and review API changes, and their impact on the ecosystem
- Create and foster relationships with partners, gaining a deep understanding of their API usage and needs
- Build applications that consume our APIs, to adopt and experience upcoming changes first-hand
- Write technical documentation, such as guides and release notes, for a technical audience
- Manage early access programs, collecting feedback from participants and actioning it with internal teams
- Manage API rollouts, coordinating everything from code releases to migration efforts
- Define, monitor and analyze metrics that inform the success of our suite of API products, and opportunities for improvement
- Produce and attend developer conferences, talks, and meetups
- A fundamental understanding of web development and APIs
- Proficiency in Ruby, Node, or Python
- Proficiency in SQL Technical background that enables collaboration with engineering teams
- Ability to delve into technical details of an API, and a strong ability to challenge and defend engineering decisions
- A deep passion and empathy for developers, and the curiosity to leave no stone unturned in your investigation of niche use-cases
- Strong writing skills and technical writing experience
- Great project management skills, and the ability to switch contexts rapidly
- Strong communication skills
- Experience with Mode Analytics
- Experience with Splunk, Git, GraphQL
- Public speaking experience
Please address your cover letter to Alex. We’d love to hear about your experience working with any APIs, and why you chose to build on them.
Closing date: Friday, Jan 10th at 9am EDT
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
|Staff Developer, Search||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Apprentice Development Manager||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote UTC -3 to UTC -7 time|
|Director of Technical Education, R&D||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Director of Security Engineering||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Program Manager - Continuing Education||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Shopify Dev Degree - 2020||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Toronto|
|Program Manager - Technical Education Platform||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Development Manager - Platform||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Staff Developer - Multiple Roles||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Senior Developer, Search||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Program Manager - Technical Education||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|