About the role
About the role
At Shopify, we’re all about making commerce better for everyone. This mission began with our founders, who started an online business selling snowboards. However, the software options were expensive and so hard to use that it made their dream feel impossible. So they changed their focus and started developing Shopify, a company that would enable anyone with something to sell to easily start, run and grow their business.
Our CEO wrote the first lines of code for Shopify, so it’s needless to say that development and scale are built into our DNA. Today, Shopify powers over one million merchants around the world.
About developer writers at Shopify…
We’re looking for a developer-focused writer to support our Engineering Blog and Dev Degree program. You’ll work with our editor to identify, plan, and craft clear, compelling content for a technical audience. You won’t need a highly technical background, but you should know the difference between a byte and a bite.
We’re looking for the kind of person who likes science, how things work, and loves to explain them in detail (think Scientific America 2.0). If you’ve taken a very complicated topic and made it simpler without losing the subtleties of the problem, and without watering it down, we want to hear from you!
Developer writers at Shopify collaborate with developers, engineers, marketing, R&D educators, and brand to tell our technical stories - cross-function collaboration is a must.
You’ll be working on things like:
- Regularly contributing content to the Engineering Blog
- Improving the editorial pipeline and flow of the Engineering Blog
- Identifying cool technical stories in Shopify’s products and platforms
- Collaborating closely with editors and content strategists
- Providing constructive feedback on content to help Shopifolk grow
- Optimizing our Dev Degree copy
- Growing Shopify’s developer brand
- Empowering developers to tell their story
You should have:
- Experience writing for a technical audience
- A history of interviewing
- Background working with cross-functional teams including engineers, developers, and marketing
- Experience writing and structuring language to respond to audience needs
- A strong ability to identify interesting narratives
- A high comfort level working autonomously
- A portfolio of work you’ve done. Bonus if you’ve written social content for a technical audience
What’s in it for you:
- A collaborative environment where we value experimentation and learning
- Autonomy - we don’t believe in micromanaging
- A healthy work-life balance with benefits such as parental leave, childcare benefits, flexible working hours, and catered meals to give you more time for the things you care about
- Being part of a developer team that’s changing the future of commerce at a global scale
- Building strong relationships with your team and the engineering discipline
You’ll be working with people like:
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
Closing date: Monday, November 18th at 9am EDT.
|Email Deliverability Engineer||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote UTC -3 to UTC -7 time|
|Senior Infrastructure Engineers||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote UTC -3 to UTC -7 time|
|Developer and Senior Developers||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Business Systems Integration Developer||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Production Engineering - Developer Acceleration Manager||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote UTC -3 to UTC -7 time|
|Development Manager - Multiple Roles||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Production Engineering - Senior Rails Developer||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote UTC -3 to UTC -7 time|
|Developer Lead - Support Team||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Production Engineering - Web Foundation Manager||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote UTC -3 to UTC -7 time|
|Director of Security Engineering||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Staff Developer - Multiple Roles||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Director of Technical Education, R&D||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|