About the role
At Shopify, we build products that help entrepreneurs around the world to start and grow their businesses. We’re the world’s fastest growing commerce platform and we have no plans of slowing down!
Development Managers at Shopify help our development team members realize their true potential. As one of them, you will leverage your established technical know-how and commitment to individual growth to build high performance teams that will be successful in delivering world-class products. You will set and hold high standards on your teams and create conditions for each individual to be successful with short term and long term goals. You will strengthen relationships across the entire company and leverage these relationships as needed to unblock teams and deliver amazing products to users.
These teams are currently seeking Development Managers:
- Merchant Sales Tax: The Merchant Services group is responsible for all systems that move money at Shopify between our merchants and their buyers. This includes: payment processing, risk assessment, partner integrations, and sales tax. Issues that involve money can seem complicated and even scary for our merchants. This is especially true for sales tax where selling online can be fraught with complex and hidden liabilities. The goal of the team is to demystify the process of collecting, reporting, and remitting sales tax in order to make starting and growing a business simpler and friendlier. We’re looking for a Development Manager to lead and grow a team of engineers to build features and infrastructure for our taxes product.
- Store Operations: Our mission is to make the multi-store management experience easy and efficient for our merchants. You will focus on the creation & management of shops and the movement of data in between. While leading a team of 4 engineers, you will have the opportunity to own projects with high complexity/volume in terms of data and performance. Help us provide a great experience for our customers in terms of interface and performance.
What will you be doing:
- Build high quality, globally available, fault tolerant systems and products
- Work on problems with your team, roll up your sleeves, form an opinion and advocate for engineering-specific roadmap items
- Work with product, UX and other disciplines to discover the best solutions for our merchants
- Be a technical influencer across the company. Provide technical direction through technical design reviews, GitHub pull requests, and pair programming
- Grow the team both through internal development and helping with external hiring
To be successful in this role you will need:
- Proven technical leadership skills using technologies and frameworks including (but not limited to) Ruby on Rails, Java/JEE, Node.js, PHP, Python
- A strong technical foundation that is as good, or better than our Senior Developers
- Proven senior leadership skills
- Experience building and successfully growing development teams
- A commitment and drive for quality, technical excellence and results
- Experience designing and developing APIs, and ideally developing your own app(s) on platforms like Shopify
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. We’re looking forward to reading your application!
Closing date: February 28th at 4:00pm ET.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
|Apprentice Development Manager||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote UTC -3 to UTC -7 time|
|Production Engineer||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote|
|Senior Developer||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo|
|Production Engineering - Cloud Network Engineering Specialist, Network Foundations||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote|
|Technical Lead (Staff Developer) - Platform Conditioning||Engineering and Development||Waterloo, Canada|