About the role
Shopify is the world’s fastest growing commerce platform, with no plans to slow down.
Working here, you’ll ship on quality instead of on time. Our teams deploy new code many times a day, on a massive production scale. We’re talking hundreds of thousands of online stores, and hundreds of millions of requests a day. With both entrepreneurs and household brands depending on us for their livelihood, it’s a tough, but incredibly rewarding responsibility.
We’re looking for technical leads who are passionate about performance, accessibility, and building for the long-term. You’ll have a real desire for solving tough problems with performant code and you’ll have experience with shaping long-term product vision and owning its implementation. You'll also be building a team of developers, providing them with mentorship, technical direction, and career guidance, and actively take part in recruiting activities to expand the team.
Here's more information about the teams that are currently looking for lead and senior lead developers.
- Shipping: What is the future of logistics? How can Shopify deliver the best merchant and consumer post point of sale experience on the planet? It’s a critical, but often overlooked, part of the merchant and buyer experience and our dev teams are working hard to build out a best-in-class solution.
- Technology Acceleration: This team is building and running the business systems that power Shopify. They are the makers of automation for our business operations (Finance, HR, Sales & Marketing, etc.) and integrate with modern SaaS like SalesForce, WorkDay and more.
What do you bring to the table?
- Proven leadership skills - primarily from a technical point of view
- A commitment and drive for quality, technical excellence and results
- Experience building large scale, high throughput systems and familiarity with full stack web development
- Ideally, a history of contributing to our community through code, documentation, mentoring, teaching, speaking, or organizing
What will you get to do?
- Learn and grow constantly to feed your passion for self-improvement and make those around you better
- Design and build innovative features that are driven by web scale data
- Collaborate with other Shopify developers and external partners to provide the best shipping experience for merchants and shopping experience for their customers.
- Work through problems with your team, roll up your sleeves, form an opinion and advocate for engineering-specific roadmap items.
- Collaborate with other Shopify leaders, executives and external partners to provide the best commerce experience for our merchants
You'll need to have extensive experience with...
- Building backend web services using a variety of languages and frameworks (Ruby on Rails, Java/JEE, Node.js, PHP, Python)
- Working with relational databases and SQL (we’re mostly on MySQL with some Postgres)
- Building and scaling user-focused web applications using different technologies (React, Angular, Backbone, Bootstrap)
- Development on a leading cloud provider (GCE, AWS, Azure, …)
Evolving Ourselves (Shopify RnD Summit talk, 2018)
(Password for video is: Delaney2019)
All our positions will require relocation to Canada (primarily Ottawa). We offer full immigration and relocation support.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. We’re looking forward to reading your application!
Closing date: Friday, July 26 at 5pm EDT.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
|Production Engineering - Database Engineer - Datastores||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote UTC -3 to UTC -7 time|
|Production Engineer - Storefront Rendering||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Elgin - HQ|
|Production Engineer||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Toronto, Remote|
|Senior Infrastructure Engineers||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote UTC -3 to UTC -7 time|
|Senior Web Developer (Shopify Web)||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Senior Developers and Managers - Shipping Services||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Technical Program Manager - Dev Degree||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Toronto|
|Production Engineering - Observability Engineer||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote|
|Staff Developer - Platform Billing||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Senior Web Developer||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Senior Developer||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Technical Program Manager, Production Engineering||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo|
|Senior Web Developer - Vault Tools||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Director of Security Engineering||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Senior Technical Security Analyst||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|