About the role
At Shopify, we build products that help entrepreneurs around the world to start and grow their businesses. We’re the world’s fastest growing commerce platform and we have no plans of slowing down!
Development Managers at Shopify help our development team members realize their true potential. As one of them, you will leverage your established technical know-how and commitment to individual growth to build high performance teams that will be successful in delivering world-class products. You will set and hold high standards on your teams and create conditions for each individual to be successful with short term and long term goals. You will strengthen relationships across the entire company and leverage these relationships as needed to unblock teams and deliver amazing products to users.
These teams are currently seeking Development Managers:
- Order and Fulfillments: The Orders and Fulfillment team is at the heart of the merchants day to day activities. Our goal is to make our merchants more efficient in getting their orders out of the door as quickly and accurately as possible. As a Web Manager on this team you will lead a team focused on building Admin UI that is fast, responsive and accessible.
- Platform: The Shopify Partner platform powers our growing ecosystem of partner businesses from around the world. Through their apps, themes, and services these partners help Shopify merchants succeed - all while building their own successful businesses. As a Development Manager on this team you will lead developers focused on building, improving and operating the systems our valued partners and merchants rely on to collaborate and succeed.
- Core Foundations: The Code Foundations team is responsible for the patterns and frameworks developers at Shopify use every day to build scalable commerce applications. As a development manager for the patterns team you will lead a group of developers in the task of improving the code health of a large Ruby on Rails codebase. Developer happiness is your goal, and you will achieve it through an emphasis on consistency, good practice, and maintainability.
- Internal Tool: This team is building critical tools to improve the merchant support experience and to help merchants when they need it most. They're helping merchants solve big problems, building better ways for them to get in touch with us and analyzing support data. As a Development Manager on this team, you'll help build solutions that have a huge impact on the success of our merchants and their businesses.
What will you be doing:
- Build high quality, globally available, fault tolerant systems and products
- Work on problems with your team, roll up your sleeves, form an opinion and advocate for engineering-specific roadmap items
- Work with product, UX and other disciplines to discover the best solutions for our merchants
- Be a technical influencer across the company. Provide technical direction through technical design reviews, GitHub pull requests, and pair programming
- Grow the team both through internal development and helping with external hiring
To be successful in this role you will need:
- Proven technical leadership skills using technologies and frameworks including (but not limited to) Ruby on Rails, Java/JEE, Node.js, PHP, Python
- Proven senior leadership skills
- Experience building and successfully growing development teams
- A commitment and drive for quality, technical excellence and results
- Experience designing and developing APIs, and ideally developing your own app(s) on platforms like Shopify
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. We’re looking forward to reading your application!
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
|Director of Security Engineering||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Senior Developer, Search||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Staff Developer, Search||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Shopify Dev Degree - 2020||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Toronto|
|Director of Technical Education, R&D||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Apprentice Development Manager||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote UTC -3 to UTC -7 time|
|Staff Developer - Multiple Roles||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|