About the role
With over 15 years of aggregate ecommerce data, we are driven by the potential insights that our data can provide. Our 1,000,000 merchants (across 175 countries) depend on us to deliver insights that enable them to grow their business. These insights help our merchants make smarter business decisions by delivering pervasive, actionable insights when they need it the most.
We are looking for a senior leader to head the engineering teams that build and maintain the data platform that powers Shopify’s merchant facing applications. We deploy and maintain a variety of high throughput, low latency, and scalable technologies for extracting, transforming, and serving large datasets for production workloads, for some of the worlds best brands. All in all, we are in charge of building the right platforms and tools to enable multiple teams of developers across Shopify to deliver amazing data-driven experiences for our merchants.
Your Key Attributes:
- Software-engineering expert with a passion for data -- You are an engineering-focussed leader of experienced teams involved in the scaling of distributed systems. You can discuss current trends and techniques used by other companies in this space to drive scale and capacity.
- Effective communicator -- Outstanding communications and presentation skills. Has the experience and ability to communicate and collaborate across functional lines and at different leadership levels.
- Confident and well-reasoned -- You have a point of view on the direction of this area, and are willing to express and defend it in a manner that is logical and concise.
- Strong leadership -- Demonstrated experience building and managing a high-performing team, developing talent and building capacity. You are a self-confident leader, coupled with an ego that seeks and promotes “smarter” subordinates.
- Recruit and develop high-performing data-engineering teams -- You have 7-10 years experience building and pruning teams from the ground up. Your most important job is recruiting and developing a team that others envy.
- Thought leadership -- you are deeply familiar with the evolution of cloud-based technologies and have a point of view on what makes them better/worse in various situations. You are well-connected in the industry, have likely spoken at conferences and can leverage your network for guidance and recruiting.
It'd be great if you had technical experience with:
- Cloud platforms: GCP, AWS, Azure
- Data Storage and Access: HDFS, Presto
- Data processing/integration: Kafka, Spark
- Analytics Datastores: AWS Redshift, GCP BigQuery
- Visualization: D3, Mode Analytics, Tableau
- Development Languages: Python, Ruby, Scala, Go
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce at Shopify, click the “Apply Now” button to submit your application. Please submit a resume and cover letter with your application. Make sure to tell us how you think you can make an impact at Shopify, and what drew you to the role.
Closing date: Dec 6th, 2019 at 5pm EDT
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
|Data Science Manager - Risk Algorithms||Data Science and Engineering||Ottawa, Canada|
|Senior Data Science Manager - Insights||Data Science and Engineering||Ottawa, Canada|
|Data Science Manager - People Analytics||Data Science and Engineering||Ottawa, Canada|
|Senior Manager, Data Science - Online Store||Data Science and Engineering||Montreal, Canada|
|Senior Data Scientist (multiple roles)||Data Science and Engineering||Ottawa, Canada|
|Senior Data Developer - Machine Learning Platforms||Data Science and Engineering||Montreal - Office|