About the role
Merchant Services powers 1.7 million independent merchants, trillions in sales across the planet, and will 5X our number of merchants within 3-5 years. As large retailers centralize and build empires, our mission has never been more important to the world than it is right now.
We are looking for a seasoned Director of Data Science with experience across growth, product analytics, experimentation, and machine learning/data products to lead teams of teams that partner with our Retail and Messaging (Apps) groups within Merchant Services.
Retailers who survive or start new businesses in the shadow of the pandemic will enter an industry wrestling with existential questions: with store closures, social distancing, and a dramatic acceleration toward ecommerce sales, retailers have been forced to reimagine the purpose of stores. We're here to help! The way forward for retail stores is omnichannel commerce, and that is the promise of Shopify Retail. Our mission is to make the world omnichannel.
Similarly, we see ample opportunity for reducing merchant complexity in the form of applications, the first one (of many) being focussed on Messaging. Conversations are the lifeblood of customer relationships, a critical subset of direct-to-consumer CRM products, and the dominant sales channel in many markets around the world. Today, as Shopify is more multichannel, more global than ever before, and with digitization of traditional retail, messaging has never been more critical to commerce.
Areas of Focus
Deliver insights & analytics to unpack how our merchants are using our products
Develop meaningful metrics to measure the success of our product
Inform and influence product feature development
Deliver insights & analytics to unpack subscriber growth (acquisition, retention, and conversion) & identify growth opportunities
Identify opportunities across the funnel to improve CAC, decrease payback periods, expand our customer base and drive merchant success
Develop attribution models & drive experimentation to improve effectiveness of marketing spend
Design data products to monetize cross-sell/up-sell opportunities, optimize lead routing, mitigate churn, and drive product adoption
Deliver insights & analytics to unpack how our merchants (and buyers) are using our products and how it’s helping them succeed
Drive merchant adoption, engagement, usage, and retention
Develop data products that enhance the conversational experience and improve outcomes involving sales, conversions, and support - this includes:
Owning the NLP engine that powers the messaging product
Delivering features that encompass real-time message classification, chat triggers, automated responses, and conversation bots that help improve outcomes for our merchants
Owning the insights pipeline that delivers metrics and information to our merchants
You will need to have:
- Leadership experience at scale: You’ve been a leader in multiple tech companies where analytics, on top of massive data sets, drives product/business decisions and results in powerful data products. You have managed numerous managers in the past, and been in charge of several teams.
- Well-balanced skills: You have a strong background of executing end-to-end Data Science work, from building data pipelines, to product analytics, to productionalizing machine learning products. You are equal parts technical and functional (and both are exceptionally strong), and you are equally comfortable and effective at presenting to other technical or business leaders.
- Analytics expertise: You’ll need to be amazing at coming up with new, meaningful metrics to measure success of our products; you'll be equally strong at making sure the data needed to support those metrics are available.
- Passion for driving data strategies: You’re able to advocate for and shape important Data decisions within an organization. You have influenced important stakeholders in the past and have a strong history of making impactful decisions to support your team.
- Team development: You’ll need a demonstrated track record of attracting top data/analytics talent, developing those people (both ICs and managers) to make them even better, and managing the growth of teams.
Key technology stack and tools we work with:
- Google Cloud Platform
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce at Shopify, click the “Apply Now” button to submit your application. Please submit a resume and cover letter with your application. Make sure to tell us how you think you can make an impact at Shopify, and what drew you to the role.
Please apply before October 22nd, 5:00 pm EST.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.