About the role
We’re looking for a Director of Developer Advocacy to work with the Shopify Platform team to build great developer experiences for our partners. Reporting to the VP of Engineering, Platform, you’ll be leading developer advocates who will represent Shopify’s platform externally while also being the voice of our developer ecosystem to internal product teams across the company.
You’ll build key relationships with the CTO, engineering leaders, and product leaders across Shopify to provide feedback that will help shape our developer experience and APIs. To gain this context, you will use the first six months on the job to gain a deep understanding of our 3rd-party developer community and product lines across the company. The voice of our developers needs to be embedded in Shopify’s product decisions and you will be instrumental in achieving this.
One of the most exciting parts of this role is that it will take shape as you start to gain deep context on the Shopify developer community and work closely with our senior product and engineering leadership. In order to gain the context you need to build this role, your first six months might look something like this:
- Defining the discipline of Developer Advocacy and growing the team from 4 to 10+ in 2020
- Coaching the team on best practices to hit goals you define and ensuring they have the right tools in place to do their jobs well
Evangelizing Developer Advocacy Internally
- Leveraging time with the CTO, CEO, and senior leaders in engineering and product to understand why this is important to the entire company
- Work with the team to be the voice of the developer community, advocating for their needs to internal product teams
- Analyze and review API changes, and their impact on the ecosystem
- Create and foster relationships with app developers, gaining a deep understanding of their API usage and needs
Evangelizing Developer Advocacy Externally
- Attend and host round tables with developers getting to know the ecosystem and who the developers are
- Speak at Shopify Unite, global and local conferences, and developer events
- Work closely with the Platform product line to decide where developer experience is headed and what features in Shopify are most needed by 3rd-party developers
- Define, monitor, and analyze metrics that inform the success of our suite of API products, and opportunities for improvement
You'll need to have:
- A deep passion and empathy for developers, and the curiosity to leave no stone unturned in your investigation of niche use-cases
- Experience building and managing high functioning, inclusive teams
- Experience developing on platforms and hold a strong opinion on how platforms should be built
- Ability to delve into technical details of an API, and a strong ability to challenge and defend engineering decisions
- Experience working with R&D organizations (specifically product and engineering)
- And ability to bring to life a new craft in a large organization
- An entrepreneurial mindset. You must be comfortable rolling up your sleeves, thriving in ambiguity, and getting the work done.
Please address your cover letter to Ferzeen. We’d love to hear about your experience advocating for developers! Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and you can expect to hear back from us within a two week timeframe.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.