About the role
Shopify makes commerce better for everyone
Shopify is the world’s leading multi-channel commerce platform. Over 1M businesses use Shopify to design and manage their stores across multiple sales channels; including web, mobile, social media, marketplaces, and brick-and-mortar locations. Our platform provides merchants with a powerful back-office and a single view of their business. Shopify was engineered for reliability and scale, making enterprise-level technology available to businesses of all sizes.
We are just getting started - join us for the next chapter of our European growth
Around the world, commerce differs in terms of culture, payments, sales channels, and logistics. We want to embrace these differences and make Shopify the right platform for all businesses, no matter where they are on the planet. In 2018 the International Growth organization launched their mission to tackle those different cultures and now we are ready to build on those learnings and double down on our investments.
Our Berlin office will focus on helping Shopify become the market leading commerce platform in Europe. Think borderless, in a market that speaks more than twenty languages. Think scale, in a region that 750+ million people call home. Think offline, in a world where retail still plays a big role. Think compliance, in countries that value privacy much more than anywhere else. It’s one thing to be localized, it’s another to do it in a transparent, scalable way.
Your role will be to build and lead a multidisciplinary engineering team to tackle these challenges at their core and take our platform to the next level. You will partner closely with teams across Shopify, and external partners, to ensure all new products and features are built with our European markets in mind. You will focus on building for the long term in ways that benefit as many merchants as possible.
You will help generate untold value for Shopify’s entrepreneurs in Europe, and ensure Shopify is and remains the obvious solution for all European entrepreneurs.
In this role you will:
- Oversee all aspects of the Shopify International engineering organization in Europe, including technical strategy, architecture, hiring and retaining talent, and best practices & technology stacks.
- Build out Berlin as Shopify’s next global engineering hub.
- Help create a vision for the future of Shopify’s global products, and collaborate with partners and stakeholders across Shopify to move this vision forward.
- Develop a deep understanding of our technology stack in order to provide hands-on technical direction to the engineering team, and work closely with UX, Product, and Growth.
- Build and mentor the Shopify International engineering team in Berlin by driving engineering quality and excellence while also building out a vibrant and productive engineering culture.
You should have:
- Technical expertise and are up to date on current web trends (SaaS, serverless computing, cloud infrastructure). You are currently involved in highly technical discussions and architecture decisions.
- Experience leading diverse and distributed teams.
- Expertise in building large-scale digital products within a high growth, global environment.
- The ability to identify opportunities and challenges in the marketplace, with constant evaluation of technological advancements and innovation to mitigate impediments and drive success.
- A data-driven mindset - and your team does too. You rely on sound data to make decisions. You believe in setting success metrics, goals, and timelines.
Does this challenge capture your attention? Join us to shape the future of commerce: click the “Apply now” button to submit your application. Aaron and Janeffer are looking forward to learning more about you.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.