About the role
The mission of the Resiliency team is to be the stewards of the reliability of our commerce platform.
We believe this is best achieved by combining proactive and reactive approaches to incidents and anomalies. On the reactive side we expect to build a distributed team that is always available and able to respond to incidents without compromising the quality of life of the team members.
On the proactive side we expect the team to architect and deploy tooling and overarching projects that will make the system more resilient, and increase their ability to respond to incidents.
We also believe in proactive testing of the system, exposing the gaps between our collective mental models and reality.
Finally, this team is empowered to drive cultural changes that reinforce the mission.
We value resilience, reliability and automation. We believe in building powerful self-serve tools for our growing engineering org, and our choices strongly influence how Shopify developers approach production challenges.
The team is looking for a director to help define our strategic roadmap and build up our global presence.
- Lead and run a globally distributed team that is able to provide 24/7 coverage and work closely with senior leadership stakeholders
- Contribute to the engineering discipline of Shopify either through community efforts (internal or external), craft quality, or efforts to raise the bar, continuing to have Shopify be an industry leader in engineering
- Grow new product investment areas through research, development, experimentation, and strategic thinking
- Develop your team while simultaneously leveling up the product. Drive top-tier engineering quality and excellence,
- Own the technical architecture and core platform decisions to build for the long-term, while managing roadmaps and business needs
- Consitently measure and improve the reliability of global commerce
- Technical Expertise. Despite being a senior leader, you are passionate about the craft of engineering and have not lost touch with it yourself. You have honed your craft in a product environment, developing battle-tested points of view on how to build great software and platforms. You know the latest technologies and have a deep understanding and deep knowledge of at least one programming language (even if it isn't one we use at Shopify).
- Leadership. As a leader of leaders, you have successfully built teams of hundreds of engineers during your career. Your technical depth allows you to develop and mentor others as well as build credibility with your team while executing broader engineering strategies. Engineers want to work with you - you understand the domestic and global market for talent and know-how to get them on your team. Building a trusting relationship through craft and execution has been a huge success here at Shopify, and we would love to find candidates that fit that model of leadership.
- Business acumen and strategic thinking. You apply a strategic business lens to all engineering strategies, knowing and understanding the implications across the broader business and communicating effectively to mitigate risks. You are comfortable managing varied and sometimes competing for priorities. You are comfortable making great decisions quickly in dynamic contexts.
- Humility. You view product development as a team sport and you foster this environment within your teams. You lead by example by being willing to roll up your sleeves and contribute tactically if that’s what your team needs. You believe that you can learn from all of your team members, no matter how experienced. You won’t tolerate anything else. You can demonstrate the ability to disagree and commit to the betterment of Shopify.
- Mission-oriented. You are passionate about being proactive about social issues.
- Domain experience. Ability to gain a deep understanding of Kubernetes and Cloud Networking or previous experience in infrastructure.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our 2020 Sustainability Report to learn more about Shopify's commitments.