Enterprise Solutions Engineer -
- Sales and Account Management
Opportunity is not evenly distributed. Shopify puts independence within reach for anyone with a dream to start a business. Since 2006, we’ve grown to over 10,000 employees and generated over $496 billion in sales for millions of merchants in 175 countries. Every 28 seconds, an entrepreneur on Shopify makes their first sale.
This is life-defining work that directly impacts people’s lives as much as it transforms your own. This is putting the power of the few in the hands of the many, is a future with more voices rather than fewer, and is creating more choices instead of an elite option.
Moving at our pace brings a lot of change, complexity, and ambiguity—and a little bit of chaos. Shopifolk thrive on that and are comfortable being uncomfortable. That means Shopify is not the right place for everyone.
- Care deeply about what you do and about making commerce better for everyone
- Excel by seeking professional and personal hypergrowth
- Keep up with an unrelenting pace (the week, not the quarter)
- Be resilient and resourceful in face of ambiguity and thrive on (rather than endure) change
- Bring critical thought and opinion
- Embrace differences and disagreement to get shit done and move forward
- Work digital-first for your daily work
About the role
About the role
We help people achieve independence by making it easier to start, run, and grow a business. We believe the future of commerce has more voices, not fewer, so we’re reducing the barriers to business ownership to make commerce better for everyone.
This year, Shopify innovated specifically for the Enterprise by building and announcing Commerce Components. Partnering with Sales, our Enterprise Solutions teams work directly with prospective clients to help them develop, strategize, and drive their commerce strategies.
As a part of the Shopify Revenue team, the Enterprise Solutions Engineer role brings business value, technical aptitude, and product expertise. If you are drawn to a constantly innovating product PaaS and to solutioning for technical and business challenges with prospective enterprises, this job is for you.
You will be part of the founding enterprise solutions engineering team, and have the unique opportunity to shape the enterprise commerce strategy of our biggest, coolest new clients and bring that unique perspective back to our product team.
- Min 3 years of client-facing experience at the Enterprise level
- Min 3 years of experience in Solutions Engineering or Pre-sales Consulting
- Solid understanding of cloud-based technologies, SaaS and PaaS fundamentals
- Solid understanding of technical strategy as it relates to operating and growing commerce businesses
- A solutions mindset - our largest and most advanced merchants like to push the boundaries of commerce and will often custom build solutions to achieve their goals.
- Passion to collaborate in a team-selling environment and share your expertise to help others learn
- Executive experience in consulting business & technical c-suite decision makers
- Strong troubleshooting and analytical skills combined with the desire to tackle challenges head-on
- A personable video conference presence with confidence and the ability to control the virtual room
- Strong time management and prioritization skills to support a number of opportunities, multiple concurrent client requests, and the ability to reprioritise on an ongoing basis.
- The ability to thrive on change, work well as part of a team and as an individual contributor, as well as the flexibility to work locally, regionally and globally in a matrixed organization. We evolve at a rapid pace and things change quickly, sometimes even daily!
- Language skills are essential - we are looking for applicants who are comfortable doing business in both English and French
- Experience in storefront design and implementation
- Solid understanding of Commerce related concepts such as headless, SEO and omni-channel
- Familiarity with development lifecycles, version control systems and development environments (git/Github is an extra plus)
- Own the technical relationship with our most strategic and largest prospective clients
- Partner with Enterprise Sales in leading requirements discovery, solution presentations, Proof of Concept builds and various workshop formats
- Become an expert on Shopify’s platform, application ecosystem and integrations
- In-depth Shopify knowledge suitable to engage with technical and non-technical clients to demonstrate the solutions possible and the value of the platform as part of their technology stack
- Assist the enterprise client (or their chosen technology partners) on architectural design of third-party applications or customized solutions that address critical business requirements
- Align with Product Managers on Shopify’s enterprise product roadmap while sharing feedback on released features and client trends
- Mentor and coach other client facing teams at Shopify on technical aspects of our platform
- Travel for customer on-site visits will be expected in the range of 15 - 25%.
We know that looking for a new role can be both exciting and time-consuming, and we truly appreciate your effort. And remember, we want to know what you're really interested in building and why you want to build it at Shopify, so please give us as much detail on this as you'd like in the answers on the next page. 👍 📖
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.
The shape of a Shopify career
Ben joined Shopify as a frontline Support Advisor with no background in programming or computer science. He’s now a Director of Engineering. Spanning 10 jobs on 7 teams in 9 years, Ben’s Shopify career path has twisted and turned as he’s worked relentlessly to pursue a career as an engineer and adapted to the pace of change—all fuelled by personal and professional hypergrowth.
Ben’s growth trajectory
- A support advisor for 2 years
- Studied dev skills. Learnt about our API. Became first API support person. Found bugs to fix.
- Eventually became a software dev
- Helped launch first finance product for merchants
- Became senior dev and launched new support contact centre
- Led a team as a dev manager
- Scaled a team from 4 to 60+ as a senior dev manager
- Became Director for Support and CX Engineering