About the role
We're searching for an Expansion Pack (EP), what we call an Executive Assistant at Shopify, to support the General Manager for a new Product Line focused on improving the buyer experience across Shopify. The job is similar to an Executive Assistant role in other companies, but we’ve changed up the title because "assistant" or “coordinator” are too narrowly focused. This is more than administrative support; this person will leverage their unique skills and strengths to help scale the impact of the GM's team.
In this role, you will work to increase the efficiency of the GM by strategically managing their day to day functions, as well as providing support to the Senior Leadership Team, as needed. As an Expansion Pack, you will have full autonomy of the GM's calendar, and will be responsible for scheduling their time in a strategic and efficient manner. We're searching for someone who will consistently remain highly organized in a fast paced, changing environment. This EP will report directly to our GM, Carl Rivera.
In this role, you'll be:
- Managing all day to day functions for the GM by strategically planning their time and aligning priorities
- Writing and sharing communications on behalf of the GM to many different stakeholders, including senior leadership, and large teams internally and externally. Examples include: summarizing meeting notes and conference talks, writing presentations and speeches, converting complex topics into simple text, and just as important, clear verbal communication
- Planning and executing events, including offsites, workshops, trips, and group activities
- Owning travel arrangements, bookings, expenses, and managing personal requests of the GM
- Working closely with the Shopify's Expansion Packs for the CEO, COO, CMO, and CPO
- Coordinating meetings and calls while scheduling across multiple time zones - ensuring they have all needed prep materials (notes and briefs)
- Acting as the primary point person for Shopifolk that need input from the GM and act as a liaison between them and their Senior Leadership Team to ensure continuous and efficient communication
- Assisting with project work and ad hoc miscellaneous initiatives, as needed
To be successful in this role, you'll need to:
- Have relevant experience in an Executive Assistant or equivalent role, supporting one or more senior executives
- Be able to handle highly sensitive material and information with discretion and confidentiality
- Be a proactive problem solver - always planning five steps ahead in a fast paced environment
- Be a confident, honest owner, willing to continuously challenge yourself, learn, and grow
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills, including an interest in writing and editing - this will be a big part of the role!
- Be hyper-organized and have meticulous attention to detail
- Be multidisciplinary; no two days look the same and you’ll have to be comfortable with ambiguity
- Be open to traveling internationally, as needed
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Be sure to include a cover letter addressed to Julia, that mentions why you think this is the right role for you.
This posting will close at 6PM EDT on October 25th, 2019.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.