About the role
Shopify is now permanently remote and working towards a future that is digital by design. Learn more about what this can mean for you.
Want to learn more about Shopify's Intern Program? Sign-up for our Fall 2021 info session & events here ✨
Interns at Shopify are fully integrated with their teams and the things you will work on are thoughtfully considered. If your team is working through a tough problem, so are you. If they are travelling to another city, you’ll be joining. There won’t be any latte fetching, there are no “intern projects” and you’ll have access to a wide range of perks based on your individual interests.
Mentorship will be available to you and you’ll join +7000 exceptionally bright people who are serious about personal growth and learning. We build products that support all kinds of entrepreneurs - from the one-product independent business owner to rapidly scaling brands like Allbirds. We’re also the platform for those that haven’t taken the first step toward getting started yet, and we try to level the playing field for anyone with a great idea to start and grow their business.
High trust and flexibility have always been a part of our culture, and if you’re expecting to be told exactly what to do, Shopify may not be the place for you. We don’t claim to have all the answers, and that’s why we look for independent thinkers, collaborators, and people hungry to grow alongside their team. Find out more about our past interns experiences and learn more about how we approach mentorship at Shopify.
Shopify internships are 4 and 8 month paid terms, and are open to students, co-ops, recent graduates and those early on in their development careers. The 4-month Fall Internship will run September 7th - December 17th 2021, and the 8-month Fall/Winter Internship will run September 7th - April 29th 2022.
The posting will close on Sunday, May 9th, 2021 at 11:59PM EST and applications will not be accepted after this date. Applications will be reviewed and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.
Our Data Scientists come from diverse backgrounds: computer science, business, economics, and physics to name a few! We are solving diverse problems in the business and appreciate diverse perspectives. Our product direction is data driven and we’re all working toward one common goal: make commerce better for everyone.
The Data Science & Engineering team acts as the impact multiplier for Shopify’s product teams, putting over 11 petabytes of retail data to work to make our merchants more successful. You’ll make an impact on delivering merchandising insights, optimizing shipping and processing rates, reducing credit card fraud, ad campaign recommendations, and more!
As someone who thrives in a rapidly changing environment, you will develop a deep understanding of our data, tools, and processes by measuring key metrics, promoting new analytical techniques and questioning assumptions. You love to tell the story behind the numbers, and will clean, model, and analyze a wide variety of data sources.
You’ll be working on things like:
Building data products and models that power Shopify’s intelligence
Helping people make well-informed decisions
Receiving mentorship and infinite opportunities to learn and grow
Using Test Driven Development to write well-tested code
Communicating and sharing your work with your team and peer
In Your Application:
1. Include your resume.
2. To showcase your skills and to help us get a better understanding of your data science knowledge, please submit the mandatory Data Science Intern Challenge and attach it to the application question titled "Shopify Technical Challenge Submission (link)". Candidates that only submit their general github link without a challenge will not be considered. Please ensure that the challenge is complete before you submit your application, as recruiters will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis.
3. We're always looking to see where passion and engagement shows itself in all aspects of your life. Please answer the questions outlined in the application to tell us more about yourself!
- Tell us about a time you messed up and what you learned from it. (200 word limit)
- If you were to open a Shopify store, what would you sell and why (or tell us about your store if you have one!) (200 word limit)
- Any last thoughts? (ie. proud accomplishments, cool ideas, a joke, etc.) (200 word limit)
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.
The Hiring Process:
1. Candidates that move beyond the initial application stage will be invited to a “Life Story” interview with a Recruiter on the Intern Program team. The intention of the Life Story interview is to construct your own personal timeline, including decisions you’ve made, what you’re passionate about, and the path you’ve taken to bring you to where you are today.
2. After the Life Story, successful candidates will be invited to a 60 minute technical interview with 2 Shopify data scientists. You will be informed in advance of the interview of what you need to bring. Generally, we ask that candidates bring a project with them they can present to our interviewers, and specifically something that includes code they have written personally (ideally not a group project). In the event that candidates don’t have a project, then we ask that they complete a coding challenge before the technical interview. The second half of the interview is a collaborative problem solving exercise with our data scientists.
3. After the technical interview, successful candidates are placed on teams based on their interests, skills and experience - each placement is done individually and with significant consideration.
Timelines of decision will be clearly communicated to candidates by their Recruiter throughout the process and you will always hear back from us. #noghosting
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
The posting will close on May 9th 2021 at 11:59PM EST and applications will not be accepted after this date.