About the role
Shopify is a fast-growing commerce company currently powering over 800,000 stores in more than 175 different countries. Merchants use our software to power their business across multiple sales channels, including web, mobile storefronts, through social media and marketplaces, and in their brick-and-mortar and pop-up shops.
Finance’s mission is to help support Shopify’s growth over the long-term and ensure we achieve our objective of making commerce better for everyone. We are trusted advisors and growth partners to the business, always striving to learn, provide insights, solve complex problems and contribute positive impact. Finance also plays an important role at the strategy planning table and helps influence the future direction of Shopify.
Our FP&A team is seeking a Finance Manager for our Toronto FP&A team to provide financial planning, analysis, and decision support to the Marketing organization. We are looking for someone who enjoys big challenges and can apply their financial expertise and guidance to support the business. If you are seasoned at working in a rapidly scaling environment, and enjoy working within a high performing team, then tell us how your experience makes you a great fit for our team.
You'll be working on things like:
- Directly supporting the CMO and his leadership team, and providing fact-based financial guidance
- Forecasting and planning marketing OPEX, primarily digital performance marketing spend
- Merchant conversion and churn forecasting, leveraging customer segmentation and funnel conversion cycles
- Gaining alignment with functional lead on forecast, and opportunity & risk tracker
- Month end GL reconciliation, accruals & variance analysis
- Providing financial guidance to help form the marketing team’s strategies
- Providing financial coaching to help expand the skill sets of business partners
- Helping the broader marketing team with various ad hoc financial support
You'll need to have:
- A bachelor's degree in finance or accounting, or an MBA,CPA or CFA designation
- Exceptionally strong financial modelling skillset (highly advanced Microsoft Excel skills, writing / modifying macros directly in VBA, creating standard reports and forecasting templates)
- Experience in using large data sets (data cleansing & mining, using SQL based databases, such as Mode Analytics or Microsoft Access)
- Proven experience in streamlining reporting and forecasting processes
- Budget tracking & management
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical skills, with the ability to exercise good judgement and make decisions based on accurate and timely analysis
- A proven attention to detail, and an ability to work independently
- Ability to roll up your sleeves and get involved in financial modelling
It’ll be great if you have experience in:
- Subscription based business models
- Writing and modifying SQL queries
- Digital marketing analytics and revenue monetization
- Brand marketing
We know that looking for a new role can be both exciting and time-consuming, and we truly appreciate your effort. John is an actual real live person ( 👋) and is looking forward to learning more about you through your application. Don’t forget to include a cover letter, we love a good story!
Please note that applications will close on August 23, 2019 at 9am EDT.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.