Front End Developer Lead, Shopify Channels
Front End Development at Shopify
We’re looking for a Front End Development Lead to help grow our Channels team. You will work on planning, resourcing, and executing projects, while providing mentorship and creating growth opportunities for the people on your team. You’ll also collaborate across our leadership teams to help push the disciplines of UX and front end forward across the company.
What is this “Channels” team you speak of?
The work that the channels team does helps entrepreneurs grow their businesses by creating experiences that feel empowering and delightful, increasing sales for all of Shopify merchants. We do all of this in a kind, collaborative and ego-free environment. As an example, the channel apps team designs, builds and maintains our 1st party channels, such as Amazon, Facebook, Messenger, and Pinterest, and provides design and product support to our externally built 3rd party partners such as eBay.
Passion and curiosity go a long way, so if you aren’t able to check every box below, please still consider applying. We are dedicated to building a diverse team and providing an inclusive workplace for all and especially encourage members of underrepresented groups to apply
As a Lead, you’ll focus on:
- Building Shopify (40% of your time)
- Help your team define their roadmap and how you’ll get there
- Help your team make decisions
- Continue to be a source of knowledge in your product domain, continue to give feedback on and help build the product
- Supporting and developing your direct reports (40% of your time)
- Grow your team’s expertise in their craft and in their communication
- Help your team obsess with the problem—are they engaged, resourceful, thinking about impact?
- Create space for your team to grow.
- Supporting and building front end and UX (20% of your time)
- Think about how other front end teams may benefit from your team’s work, can you help push Shopify’s front end standards?
- Think about what other teams and other leads may learn from you, and what you can you learn from other teams. Be proactive, seek those solving similar and related problems.
- Seek opportunities to build Shopify's presence in the UX community.
Here are projects this team has been championing lately:
- Helping merchants sell on other platforms by building out our Sales Channel ecosystem including Integrations with Facebook Messenger, Amazon and eBay
- Recent launch of our Instagram integration, helping our merchants sell directly on the app
- Using peer mentorship and collaboration to learn and teach the latest technologies and standards to ensure we are always using the best techniques possible
- Collaborating with other disciplines, from engineering to design, to help develop front end solutions
- Being an advocate throughout the company for great UX
- Building applications that are responsive, performant, accessible, and well-tested
Some people you might work with here:
- Dave Newton, Front End Developer Lead, App & Partner Platform
- Amy Shea, Design Lead, Channels
- Darrin Henein, Senior UX Lead, Channels
- Melissa Luu, Senior Front End Developer, Channels
- Monika Piotrowicz, Director of UX
Tools and nitty gritty of the team:
- Is this stuff new to you? That’s OK! We know not everybody will come in being fully familiar with this stack, and we provide support to learn on the job.
- We are modernizing our front end stack to use a component system built with React, TypeScript, SASS, and CSS modules
- Shopify is the world’s largest Ruby on Rails application, and our front end developers work closely with back end engineers to build our products
- Shopify is built on a collaborative code review process using Github Flow
- You will likely be involved in modernizing existing ruby-on-rails based apps to use a React front end, and building new React-based apps
Here’s how to apply:
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of front end development at Shopify, click the “Apply now” button to submit your application.
Please address your cover letter to Leah Pollock, and include a link to something you’re proud of: recent projects, code samples and/or a Github account.
Not what you’re looking for?
Don’t worry, we’re growing and exciting jobs come up often. Sign up to receive email updates when other Front End Development jobs are posted.