About the role
Shopify is now permanently remote and working towards a future that is digital by design. While Berlin is our hub, this role is open to candidates in European time zones. Learn more about what this can mean for you.
Shopify is the world’s fastest-growing commerce platform, with no plans to slow down. We’re looking for full-stack developers with a passion for solving tough problems with performant code. You'll have the creative freedom to make a real difference in the world of commerce, the support to bring your authentic self to work, and the chance to work with the best in the business. And when it comes to shipping, we’re all about quality vs on time.
We are looking for a generalist (or a T-shaped/Full Stack developer) rather than a specialist, excited by problems that require a mix of frontend and backend skills.
The tools you will use include: Ruby, Ruby on Rails, TypeScript, React, GraphQL, and more! We don’t expect you to necessarily know all these when you apply.
This role is within the Europe RnD team. We’re making sure that merchants on the European markets have the best possible experience and we also support merchant acquisition performance.
Requirements for the role:
- Product mindset.
- Experience in writing automated tests as part of the development workflow (even better if it’s TDD).
- Passion for efficiency and collaboration, with a history of establishing great relationships with other teams, across offices, and time zones.
- Genuine interest in EMEA, emerging markets, cultural nuances, and/or product localization.
- Curiosity and passion to constantly learn new things; Shopify changes fast, and we need the people who work here to be able to change and learn fast too.
Projects you could work on:
- Improving Shopify's onboarding experience - compliance with European laws, such as GDPR and ePrivacy Regulation.
- Improving integration with local payment providers and shipping carriers.
- Improving Shopify's reliability and speed.
- Collaborating with other disciplines to help develop solutions for our merchants.Engaging with teams across Shopify to ensure all new features are built with our international markets in mind-focusing on building for the long term, in ways that benefit as many merchants as possible.
- Experience with Ruby on Rails, React, Typescript, GraphQL, MySQL.
- Experience with a collaborative code review process using Github Flow.
- History of contributing to the developer community through code, documentation, mentoring, teaching, speaking or organizing events.
- Experience in developing resilient and scalable web services that perform well on all devices using modern languages and frameworks.
- Experience with one or more modern web stacks (transpilers, linters, build and CI tools, etc.)
- If some of this tech is new to you, that's ok! We know not everyone will come in fully familiar with this stack, and we provide support to learn on the job.
We know that looking for a new role can be both exciting and time-consuming, and we truly appreciate your effort. Natalia is an actual real live person (👋🏻) and is looking forward to learning more about you and your interest in joining our team.
This posting will be closed on November, 3rd 2020
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, racialized people, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our2019 Sustainability Report to learn more about Shopify's commitments.
Interested, but not ready to apply?
Join the Shopify Talent Community to learn more about Shopify by clicking here.
Not what you’re looking for? Check out these similar roles.
|Director of Data Science, Shop||Data Science and Engineering||EMEA, Europe|
|Senior Data Scientist, International Growth||Data Science and Engineering||EMEA, Europe|
|Senior Data Scientist, Shop||Data Science and Engineering||EMEA, Europe|
|Support Advisor - Fluent in German (Remote, Ireland)||Customer Support||EMEA, Europe|
|Support Advisor - Fluent in Spanish (Remote, Ireland)||Customer Support||EMEA, Europe|
|Support Advisor - Fluent in Swedish (Remote, Ireland)||Customer Support||EMEA, Europe|
|Product Lead, Developer Tools||Product Management||Americas, Europe|
|QA Engineer (Remote, Europe)||Engineering and Development||EMEA, Europe|
|Senior Site Reliability Engineer (Remote)||Engineering and Development||EMEA, Europe|