About the role
Shopify is the world’s fastest growing commerce platform, with no plans to slow down, powering over 1 million stores in more than 175 different countries. Our mission within the Legal Team is to work behind the scenes to help Shopify make commerce better for everyone. We must be able to apply our knowledge and experience in order to protect Shopify’s interests in a way that allows our business to stay agile and competitive.
About the team
Shopify’s Government Affairs Team, situated within the broader Legal Team, works with policymakers, legislators, civil society groups, academics, and the public at large to speak up for small businesses and entrepreneurs, and advocate for a more free, open, and competitive Internet. Our small-but-mighty team has historically been located in North America, but as our presence in EMEA expands, it is increasingly important for us to participate in ongoing policy discussions across the region.
Your primary responsibility will be to strategically manage our engagement on policy issues across Europe, and help us tell Shopify’s story to policymakers. You will represent us in meetings and discussions with policymakers and legislators, and you will work closely with the rest of the Legal Team to make sure that we are anticipating and preparing the business for significant legal and regulatory changes on the horizon. You should also feel comfortable working with engineers, product managers, tax specialists, and a variety of other teams, as part of your efforts to understand how policy proposals may affect our business, and the merchants that use our platform. Additionally, you will serve as our primary contact with our European industry associations and external public affairs firms, and you will help us make written submissions where appropriate.
- Represent Shopify in discussions with policymakers, legislators, and civil society groups in EMEA.
- Monitor EMEA legislation and policy initiatives (with a focus on proposals from the UK, the EU, and key EU member states), and evaluate potential impact on Shopify.
- Prepare written submissions about relevant policy proposals.
- Preparing policy papers and circulating internally to ensure that our view is informed by stakeholders across the organization.
- Managing relationships with trade associations and external policy firms in EMEA.
- You are located in or around Brussels, Belgium.
- Strong knowledge of EU and EU member state legislative processes.
- Basic understanding of at least some policy areas important to Shopify, including platform regulation, intellectual property, data protection, content moderation, competition, and ecommerce regulation.
- Existing relationships with policymakers, industry groups, and civil society groups in Brussels or elsewhere in EMEA.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- The ability to build and maintain strong relationships with a variety of people and teams, both internal and external. You will need to be able to gain the trust of a wide range of folks at Shopify, to speak to each team “in their language,” and to make them feel comfortable enough to reach out when things go wrong.
- You will also need to build trusted relationships with key external stakeholders. You will need to do all of this in a new “Digital by Design” (read, remote) workplace.
- The ability to talk about highly technical products and services with both technical experts and regulators with no technical background.
We’re looking for a curious, passionate and dedicated Brussels-based public policy professional to help us extend our government affairs work to Europe, as our first team member outside of North America. We are looking for someone with experience working on policy issues at the EU level in Brussels, and ideally someone who also has experience with member state engagement. We are also looking for someone who has experience working on policy issues relevant to Shopify, including platform regulation, intellectual property, data protection, competition, e-commerce regulation, and other similar areas.
As long as you have relevant substantive experience, we don’t care exactly where you got that experience - you don’t need to be a lawyer, and we are open to candidates who have gained experience in any role anywhere, including in government, in a civil society group, at a company, at an industry group or at a public affairs or law firm. You also need to be an excellent writer and communicator, and a creative thinker.
Success on the Shopify Legal team requires intellect, humility and a sense of humour. You need to take the work seriously, but not take yourself too seriously. You also need to be comfortable with being uncomfortable, able to work with many different types of personalities, really connect with people and earn their trust, and enjoy working as a team player. You will handle complicated matters with empathy and professionalism, striking a balance between legal requirements while maintaining our kick ass workplace.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Maryam, our VP, Government Affairs, is looking forward to reading your cover letter. In your cover letter, please include a paragraph on a policy proposal being discussed in Europe aside from the Digital Services Act or Digital Markets Act, and how that proposal might affect Shopify.
Closing date: Monday, August 9 at 11:59PM CEST. Successful candidates can expect to hear back from us by Thursday, August 12 at 5:00PM CEST.
Shopify is now permanently remote, and working towards a future that is digital by default. Learn more about what this can mean for you.
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.