About the role
Shopify is looking to hire a new Head of Tax to help grow our tax team, and define the future of tax at a company that’s shaping the future of commerce around the world.
Our tax team is currently in its infancy phase. We have over 4000 employees, 1 million merchants globally, and only 3 in-house tax professionals. You would be the 4th. This is one of those roles that epitomizes the phrase: “I was at the right place at the right time”. We are growing rapidly, and expanding into new territories constantly. Our tax team is itching to grow and evolve into a more sophisticated operation. This means that you will be able to use your lifelong experiences and skills to nurture and scale a team that’s looking to double in the next year, implement new structures and technologies, and work through new and exciting challenges.
As you can imagine, we’ve got our hands full. By virtue of working with the product teams, facilitating our acquisitions such as 6 River Systems, and keeping up with the ever-changing tax rules in all of the countries in which we have employees, merchants, and buyers, we’re constantly putting out fires. Our goal is to have dedicated teams that can become proactive in their specialized areas, and make the huge impact that a world-class tax team can have on a business. This is where your expertise and guidance comes into play.
You will be working on things like:
- Developing and managing all global tax functions, including all tax planning, structuring, accounting and compliance activities
- Overseeing the system of internal controls over accounting for income taxes
- Overseeing all domestic and international tax reporting and compliance functions
- Providing tax guidance, advice and risk management support to the company's growth strategy
- Maintaining up-to-date knowledge of global tax legislative developments and related implications
- Overseeing various federal, state and international tax audits
- Overseeing accounting for transfer pricing and management fee arrangements
- Overseeing financial statement reporting of income taxes and effective tax rate computations
- Participating in all acquisition activity, including due diligence and post-acquisition integration efforts
- Creating a staff development program for the tax department, providing opportunities for members of the department to expand their knowledge and expertise in key areas
- Engaging with key stakeholders including Shopify’s Chief Financial Officer, Chief Legal Officer, Controller, external tax advisors, and external audit firm to develop new tax solutions and implement complex tax structures
- Proactively interacting with the Executive Team, Senior Management, Audit Committee and Board of Directors in an effort to discuss risk, strategy and vision on global tax matters
You will need to have:
- A degree in tax accounting or tax law; advanced degree highly preferred
- A CPA, with understanding of GAAP accounting
- Relevant tax experience with significant Canadian and International tax, and technology and public company experience
- Demonstrated ability to research and develop new tax ideas and implement complex tax structures
- Extensive technical knowledge of income and non-income taxes, indirect taxes and other taxes
- Strong familiarity with SEC disclosure and other tax reporting requirements
- Exceptional communication skills -- ability to explain complex tax issues in a simple, clear and concise manner
- Enthusiasm as a team player and a developer of talent
- Ability to develop and maintain strong internal and external working relationships
- Strong project management skills, including ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced, changing environment
Here's how to apply:
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce, click the “Apply now” button to submit your application. Please address your cover letter to Doug. This posting will close on January 17th, 2020 at 5pm.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.