About the role
Are you looking for an opportunity to work on planet-scale infrastructure? Do you want your work to impact thousands of developers and millions of customers? Do you get excited about performance and navigating different layers of the stack?
Our Production Engineering team is looking for someone just like you. Our team is building the next generation of the platform that powers the stores of our 800,000+ merchants, and our goal is to make it blazingly fast. 🔥
Relevant experience for the role:
- A generalist developer who is comfortable with multiple languages such as C, Rust, Ruby, and Go
- Working anywhere in the stack, from right beside the OS and up
- Hands-on development with cloud infrastructure (AWS, GCE, Azure, Kubernetes, Docker)
- Familiarity with network and web protocols, from IP to HTTP
- Working on application performance, in the browser and the server
- Working with a variety of open-source software including nginx, redis, memcached and MySQL
- Building large distributed systems at scale
- Creating and pushing adoption of development tools to a large, distributed development team
- Automating development processes such as continuous integration and continuous delivery
Projects you could work on:
- Write compiled extensions to optimize hot paths using bare-metal languages such as C or Rust
- Work on our caching infrastructure and speed-up response times for complex rendering scenarios
- Improve our data layer to maximize data fetching over one or many of our datastores
- Write Nginx modules to orchestrate and optimize traffic between our different applications
- Collaborate with other Shopify developers to work on one or more of our server-side applications
- And plenty more!
We are passionate about the work that we do but we also care a lot about sharing what we've learned with the broader developer community, whether that be through our engineering blog our some of open source projects.
Some of the tools that we use: Ruby, Rails, Go, Rust, Kubernetes, MySQL, Redis, Memcached, Docker, CI Pipelines, Distributed Systems, Google Cloud
Is some of this tech new to you? That’s OK! We know not everyone will come in fully familiar with this stack, and we provide support to learn on the job.
Our team is distributed between the Montreal and Ottawa office in Canada. We have a great Mobility team that tailors individual relocation and immigration packages to best support your move.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. We’re looking forward to reading your application.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
This posting will close on October 4th at 11am EDT.
|Web Development Manager, Shopify Start||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Staff Developer - Multiple Roles||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Staff Security Developer - Internal Security||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Production Engineer||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Waterloo|
|Production Engineering - Storefront Renderer||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Elgin - HQ|
|Director of Security Engineering||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Senior Developers and Managers - Shipping Services||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Production Engineering - Production Platform||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Elgin - HQ|
|Senior Anti-Abuse Engineer||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Security Engineering Lead - Mobile Applications||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Production Engineering - Datastores - Database Engineer -||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote UTC -3 to UTC -7 time|
|Senior Developer||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|
|Development Manager - Multiple Roles||Engineering and Development||Ottawa, Canada|