About the role
Shopify has redefined commerce, raising the standard for how businesses of all sizes operate, market, and sell their products and services. With over 1,000,000 merchants in more than 175 different countries, powered by the most innovative platform on the market, we continue to grow rapidly while constantly looking for new ways to impact and disrupt worldwide commerce.
About the Shopify Fulfillment Network (SFN)
The Shopify Fulfillment Network (SFN) is a dispersed network of fulfillment centers, powered by machine learning that takes the pain out of warehousing and fulfillment for our merchants.
About this Role
Dozens of nodes, hundreds of merchants, thousands (and thousands and thousands) of SKUs. That’s what the SFN will look like in time. If you’re not seeing why we need an Inventory Planner (or, more accurately, a bunch of them with an assist from machine learning) by now, you should probably just move on. :)
We’re merchant obsessed - both now and in the future. Which means we work individually with the merchants on the SFN platform while also building for scale. It’s a little/large, short term/long term, start small/think big kind of gig. We want an Inventory Planner in place to help us work both ends of the spectrum.
Breaking the role down, the successful candidate will...
(a) work with the early SFN adopters - many of whom don’t have inventory planners on their teams - to help them understand the complexities of fulfillment, warehousing and supply management and
(b) help guide our team as it scales up - working with product managers, data science teams and developers to build a best in class inventory management system that democratizes this age old industry.
Want it broken down even further? In the short term, your job will be to think deeply about moving inventory for multiple merchants around multiple nodes, responding to historical data inputs as well as less tangible information. How can we help out merchants NOW by advising them on where their inventory should be placed to offer their customers super efficient (and cheap) shipping.
In the long term, you’ll be strategising, modelling, and helping to build an inventory planning tool that can meet scale head on. Think machine learning, automated tooling and kick ass onboarding, dashboarding and reporting tools.
OK, let’s chat about what your day to day would look like to start:
- You’ll be tracking day-to-day node inventory and assist in supporting node KPIs to consistently meet/exceed established goals
- You’ll be maintaining daily reports that are established to measure daily, weekly and monthly KPIs
- You’ll be developing and maintaining inventory control systems that meet ongoing and future facility needs
- You’ll be developing and managing the node cycle count program and the inventory recoup/repack/return/recycle program
- You’ll provide support to our Merchant Support team.
- You’ll establish communications systems to communicate all of the above internally and externally.
Here’s what we’d like you to bring to the role:
- A ton of experience in this type of role already. Seriously :) This is the first of this role that we’ve hired. You’ll be expected to lead the way here, using your experience as your guide.
- Solid knowledge of data analysis, inventory management software, and forecasting techniques.
- An analytical mind with strong attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal.
- The ability to prioritize and organize work, along with strong follow-up, analytical, problem solving and sound decision making skills
- An ability to thrive in ambiguity. We don’t pretend to have all the answers, so you have to be prepared to work in this sort of environment.
- Exposure to Lean principles, systems and tools would be awesome
- Knowledge of Warehouse Management Systems (WMS) would be awesome too.
That’s it! We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Greg, a recruiter on our team, is looking forward to reading your application.
This posting will close on Friday, January 17th at 2pm EDT.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.