About the role
Shopify is a fast-growing commerce company currently powering over 800,000 stores in more than 175 different countries. Merchants use our software to power their business across multiple sales channels, including web, and mobile storefronts, through social media and marketplaces, and in their brick-and-mortar and pop-up shops.
We are looking to add an Investment Analyst to our Strategic Expansion team. The Strategic Expansion team focuses on evaluating internal and external businesses, strategic identification and prioritization of new business opportunities, and developing thoughtful perspectives and insights on market dynamics.
- You have a CFA designation or you’re close to obtaining one (think Level II and above)
- You have a degree in Finance, Accounting, Mathematics or Economics or relevant direct professional experience
- You have experience in investment banking, consulting, or sell-side research
- You have a history of learning about new businesses quickly
- You are extremely proficient at building complex operating and financial models that help people understand business systems / tradeoffs / value
- You have seen a lot of deals in your time and you’ve built a ton of sophisticated models to back them up
- You have an ability to synthesize tremendous amount of information/data. Something you take pride in
- You possess strong technical, and analytical skills and can think through problems
- You understand how to simplify the complex and put together polished presentations/decks for decision makers
- You have been exposed to the technology space (SaaS in particular) but you have also found yourself covering a wide range of other industries
Here's some of what will keep you busy:
- Create sophisticated financial models including business valuations, revenue/ cost projections for acquisitions and partnership scenarios
- Assist in the preparation of presentations targeted at senior management
- Perform and synthesize research to be used in modelling, competitive analysis, industry analysis, negotiation support and more
If this sounds like the perfect role for you, tell us why and make sure to address your cover letter to Lucas Matheson, Director of Strategic Expansion. In your cover letter, walks us through the most complex model you’ve ever built and why you’re proud of it.
Closing date: August 30th at 9am EDT
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.