About the role
As a Launch Engineer in Japan, you will help merchants to launch their 1st store on the Shopify platform. This is a very important period for our merchants to build up that trust and have a smooth experience before opening and making their first sale!!
With your technical and business knowledge you will guide our merchants, help to break down technical barriers to enable our sales, partners and merchant success teams to show our merchants how they can accelerate the growth of their business with Shopify.
You will have the opportunity to engage directly with our merchants and their technical teams to have high level ‘solutions-focused’ discussions around the Shopify platform. You will be partnering with large Shopify Plus merchants across the Asia Pacific (APAC) region; and more specifically, applying your language and background skills to consult with merchants from Japan as they come onto the platform.
To support their business processes and initiatives, you will work with them to ensure they have a clear plan and timeline for their shop's launch and an understanding of best practice on Shopify. You will consult on their ecommerce technology stack and business objectives, and provide guidance on how to best leverage the Shopify platform and ecosystem. You will also advise on best practices around complex integrations and provide solutions to expedite their build time while setting them up for long-term success on our platform! It’s not a simple role, but an enormously rewarding one for the right individual.
Requirements for the role:
- Become an expert on Shopify’s application ecosystem and integrations.
- As a technical leader within the team you demonstrate strong aptitude in stakeholder management, multi-layered solutioning, systems thinking, and navigating complex relationships.
- Ability to work closely with Launch Engineering leadership to help inform decisions and drive constant improvements within the team. This includes mentorship, leading by example, taking ownership over issues, and helping to improve processes.
- Ability to handle a small but complex bundle of merchants at once (around 10-20) and work with the merchants’ development team (internal or external), and operations teams to help design a solution for them on the platform. While you will not necessarily be building/implementing the solution, you will be acting as a trusted advisor and subject matter expert during the build.
- Deep commerce knowledge of Japan.
- Experience working in an application ecosystem and integrating 3rd party technologies (ideally into the Shopify platform)
- A ‘solutions mindset’. Our largest and most complex merchants like to push the boundaries of commerce and will often custom build solutions within their architecture to help them get there.
- Strong time management and prioritisation skills to support a wide portfolio of merchants with multiple requests coming through at the same time, and the ability to re-prioritise on an ongoing basis.
- Great troubleshooting & analytical skills combined with the desire and resourcefulness to tackle challenges head-on.
- A desire to learn, master & teach our growing Enterprise Customers, Agencies & Internal teams.
- A good project management mindset. This is not a true project management role, but does share some skills with it, especially managing expectations and prioritising deliverables.
- A curious mind for how things work and what makes them tick, an affinity for helping and teaching merchants, and a constant thirst to learn about the next best thing.
- The ability to thrive on change. We evolve at a rapid pace and things change quickly, sometimes even daily!
It would be great if you have:
- Previously built out and advised on technical solutions & integrations for ecommerce brands.
- Working knowledge of the Shopify API (REST and GraphQL)
- A deep understanding of technical strategy as it relates to operating and growing a commerce business.
- Experience running your own business or building your own app. You know what it means to be an entrepreneur and can share your learnings with our merchants.
- Familiarity with version control systems and development environments (git/Github is a plus).
- Development experience. You’ll be speaking often with developers and tech teams and need to be able to speak their language. (HTML, Liquid, Ruby, JS etc.)
- Experience with Liquid, the Shopify templating language. You won't need to make a theme but you should know how to make small changes and what's possible with our themes.
- Educating merchants on proper store setup (domains, redirects, product taxonomy, building collections, shipping, etc)
- Consulting with merchants on interesting and complex shop functionality and business system integrations
- Helping our merchants to convert their store ideas into real and actionable plans
- Progressing the site status so stores launch as efficiently as possible
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
How we hire
Not what you’re looking for?Check out these similar roles.
|Partner Solutions Engineer (Remote, Japan)||Sales and Account Management||Asia|
|Solutions Engineer (Remote, Japan)||Sales and Account Management||Asia|
|Senior Solutions Engineer (Remote, Singapore)||Sales and Account Management||Asia|
|Sales Representative (Remote, Japan)||Sales and Account Management||Asia|
|Merchant Success Team Lead (Remote, Japan)||Sales and Account Management||Asia|
|Merchant Solutions Engineer (Remote, Japan)||Sales and Account Management||Asia|