Lead Software Developer
Marketing is a challenge for most online merchants. Even if you sell a great product, it can be tough to get the word out about your business. Taking the time to not only build and run marketing campaigns, but also learn best practices and make your campaigns effective across numerous channels, is a lot to ask on top of running a store.
That’s where Kit comes in. Kit is a fully automated virtual employee that helps Shopify merchants with their business. For many merchants, Kit is their first hire (and probably their best, because Kit always shows up on time, and never steals the good snacks in the office🍩🍪🍫🍿). Kit was built to manage small businesses’ marketing tasks, so that entrepreneurs can focus on doing what they love; creating incredible products. Merchants talk to Kit via multiple messaging platforms including SMS, Facebook Messenger, and Telegram.
As we grow, we need technical and people leadership. Our leads are coding and in that capacity also provide hands-on career building guidance to team members. Building a trusting relationship through code and design has been a huge success here at Shopify, and we would love to find leads that fit that model of leadership. We are also remarkably light on bureaucracy and this enables people to perform at their best.
Finally, we are extremely eager to hire for inclusion. We strive for a balanced team because we know this will have huge impact on innovation and quality. We are located in San Francisco's Financial District, close to BART, and a short walk to the Ferry building.
A few things we'd like you to have:
- Looking at long-term solutions and assessing system wide impacts ensuring the product evolves in the right way.
- Solid Ruby on Rails foundation
- Experience growing developers to become senior contributors, and establishing new mandates that will enable senior developers to take on technical leadership roles.
- A passion and curiosity to constantly learn new things. Shopify changes fast, and we need people who work here to be able to change and learn fast, too.
- Establishing great relationships with other teams, across offices, and especially at the leadership level.
It’d be great if you also have experience with:
- Building a RESTful API
- Building a Gem
- HTML and CSS
- Open source contributions
- AWS architecture and Chef
Here's how to apply:
If you're interested in this position please click "Apply Now" and we'll be in touch with you. Please make out your cover letter to Mike and let us know why you want to work on Kit.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.
Not what you’re looking for?
Don’t worry, we’re growing and exciting jobs come up often. Sign up to receive email updates when other Engineering jobs are posted.