Lead Software Engineer
**Please note that applications will not be reviewed until the week of January 8, 2018. Thank you for patience over the holidays!**
Shopify is the world’s fastest growing commerce platform and we have no plans to slow down. We’re on a mission to scale our platform while simultaneously improving performance, reliability, and resiliency. To do this, we need the help of dedicated, methodical, and versatile engineers.
Shopify is the longest continuously developed Rails app on the planet. Many core Rails features were actually developed at Shopify, and we’re constantly improving our codebase to make it better or leaner. We’re looking for backend developers with a passion for solving tough problems with performant code. If you’re interested in helping us build the future of Shopify this job’s for you. We ship on quality instead of on time. Our teams deploy new code many times a day, and our production scale is massive. Hundreds of thousands of merchants will see your work within seconds – a tough but incredibly rewarding responsibility.
You'll need to have:
- Technical leadership and/or management experience
- A commitment and drive for quality, excellence and results
- A passion for helping growing development teams and making others better
- Proficiency with UNIX commands
- Experience with relational databases and SQL (we’re mostly on MySQL with some Postgres)
- Experience building and scaling user-focused web applications
It'd be great if you have experience with:
- Experience with Rails OR the desire to learn it quickly
- Experience contributing to our community through code, documentation, mentoring, teaching, speaking, or organizing events
You'll be working on things like:
- Writing back-end code in Ruby and possibly Go
- Learning and growing constantly to feed your passion for self-improvement and make those around you better
- Providing beautiful and fast code that improves our code base in meaningful ways
- Using TDD to write well-tested code
- Fixing bugs fast and taking your time to solve hard problems well
- Contributing back to the open source community
Here's how to apply:
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce, click the “Apply now” button to submit your application. Please address your cover letter to Leah.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.
Not what you’re looking for?
Don’t worry, we’re growing and exciting jobs come up often. Sign up to receive email updates when other Engineering jobs are posted.