Shopify is growing quickly, and we are looking for an approachable, book- and street-smart lawyer who can get shit done.
As a member of our commercial legal team, you will support multiple teams across Shopify including product development, business development, engineering, sales and growth. You will regularly collaborate with members of Shopify’s legal team and other internal stakeholders, communicating legal risk and helping to guide business strategy.
The ideal candidate thrives on change, embraces challenge, is passionate about delivering exceptional legal work, and will be committed to helping build trust in Shopify.
You'll need to have:
- A J.D. or LL.B. with stellar academic credentials
- A license to practice law in Ontario
- At least 4 years of relevant legal experience at a top-tier law firm, in-house, or a combination of the two
- Substantial experience drafting and negotiating complex legal agreements
- Experience leading projects and managing multiple priorities, stakeholders and deadlines
- The ability to thrive in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment and deliver pragmatic and business-focused counsel on tight timelines
- Exceptional business judgement, relationship-building skills and creativity
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills
- A kickass sense of humour
It’d be great if you have experience with any of the following:
- SaaS, PaaS, IaaS and other technology-related offerings
- Canadian, US and/or EU privacy and data protection requirements
- Online advertising and marketing law, contest law, and/or social media platform rules
- Insurance and/or financial regulatory requirements
- Open source software licensing
Here's how to apply:
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce, click the “Apply now” button to submit your application. Please address your cover letter to Nora.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is thisclose to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.
Not what you’re looking for?
Don’t worry, we’re growing and exciting jobs come up often. Sign up to receive email updates when other Legal jobs are posted.