Legal Counsel - Shopify Plus
Shopify is growing, and we are looking for an approachable, book- and street-smart lawyer to join the Shopify legal team as Legal Counsel for Shopify Plus.
In this role you will support the Shopify Plus team on a wide range of matters, including sales, product development, business development, partner relationships, engineering and growth. In addition, you will regularly collaborate with members of Shopify’s legal team and other internal stakeholders, communicating legal risk and helping to guide business strategy.
The ideal candidate thrives on change, embraces challenge, is passionate about delivering exceptional legal work, and will be committed to helping grow Shopify Plus.
You'll need to have:
- A J.D. or LL.B. with stellar academic credentials
- A license to practice law in Ontario
- At least 5 years of relevant legal experience at a top-tier law firm, in-house, or a combination of the two
- Substantial experience drafting and negotiating complex legal agreements
- Experience leading projects and managing multiple priorities, stakeholders and deadlines
- The ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, and entrepreneurial environment
- Exceptional business judgement, relationship-building skills and creativity
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills
- A kickass sense of humour
It’d be great if you have experience with any of the following:
- SaaS, PaaS, IaaS and other technology-related offerings
- Canadian, US and/or EU privacy and data protection requirements
- Experience in advertising and marketing law
You'll be working on things like:
- Drafting and negotiating service contracts with Shopify Plus’ enterprise customers, including some of the world’s largest brands
- Drafting and negotiating complex commercial agreements, including software and technology licenses
- Helping to establish and maintain relationships with Shopify Plus Partners, including with respect to product integrations and reseller arrangements
- Working as a member of cross-functional teams on a wide range of matters affecting every aspect of Shopify Plus’ business, including privacy, data protection, partnerships, software, IT infrastructure, contests and advertising, among others
- Delivering pragmatic and business-focused counsel on tight timelines
Here's how to apply:
If you’re interested in helping Shopify shape the future of commerce, click the “Apply now” button to submit your application. Please address your cover letter to Nora Hammond.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.
Not what you’re looking for?
Don’t worry, we’re growing and exciting jobs come up often. Sign up to receive email updates when other Legal jobs are posted.
Your application has been submitted. We will be in touch. Also, we encourage all applicants to experiment with the product and start a store.