About the role
The Systems Research team at Shopify conducts cross-company research on high impact areas to help teams identify new opportunities, support alignment between multiple product lines, and speed up decision making at Shopify. The team uses mixed methods and multiple data sources to gather broad knowledge about the world of commerce and measure the overall health of businesses on Shopify. We focus on providing our colleagues with actionable insights on our merchant, partner, and buyer ecosystems.
We’re looking for a market researcher with supplier-side experience who is passionate about the world of commerce and the needs of its multiple audiences. You’ll be collaborating with product directors/managers, designers, engineers, marketers, customer support, as well as other researchers and data scientists to:
- Understand and define commerce systems by: running cross-Shopify research studies on high impact areas (e.g. segmentation, customer life cycle and journey through the platform, business stages); And help teams identify new product opportunities using a wide range of research methods
-Conduct ongoing experiments and segmentation studies to help teams speed up decision process
-Work with researchers on other teams to synthesize insights and support decision-making
- Support alignment between disciplines and product/service lines
- Elevate research as a craft across the company
What you’ll work on:
- You will work in a highly collaborative fashion as a core member of the Systems Research Team to design research, collect and analyze data, identify and present insights. You'll work closely with other researchers whose expertise spans cultural anthropology, UX research, market research, information science, and data science to: understand Shopify audiences, including their needs and behaviour; define and measure key metrics; promote new research techniques; question assumptions; and tell compelling stories with data.
- As someone who thrives in a rapidly changing environment, you will develop a deep understanding of our data, research approaches, tools, and processes.
- You’ll be an integral part of Shopify’s wider Data organization, where we’ve built out a petabyte scale Hadoop cluster to make sure that every Shopifier can access the data they need to make better decisions. This includes empowering the 500,000+ merchants on our platform as well. With our goal of making commerce better for everyone, being a data-informed company includes enabling data-informed merchants.
You’ll bring the following abilities and experiences to your team:
- Prior global market research experience (including non-English markets) with demonstrated client impact
- Passion for unpacking and solving complex systems problems that span across multiple contexts
- Ability to identify the most appropriate research methods and tools to use depending on project objectives and constraints
- Exceptional quantitative and qualitative market research skills, including project management, proposal writing, research design, sampling, questionnaire writing, data analysis, and report writing
- Prior supplier-side research experience with demonstrated client impact
- Experience applying a range of research methods with creativity, scrappiness, and critical thinking. Example research methods include surveys, database research, observations and in-depth interviewing, focus groups, diary studies
- Proficiency with research tools, including data analysis software (e.g. SPSS, R, MAXQDA, NVivo, Microsoft Excel), survey tools (e.g. SurveyMonkey, Typeform), data analysis and visualization platforms (e.g. Mode Analytics, Tableau, Google Analytics)
- Understanding the many uses of regression and inferential statistics
- Experience querying and summarizing data using SQL and a working knowledge of Python or other programming language
- Ability to clearly communicate evidence-based recommendations and accept feedback
- Deep understanding of the end-to-end iterative product and service design process
- Great organizational and interpersonal skills, with proven success building relationships across all levels
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce, please submit your application.Please address your cover letter to Sam and include a link to a few samples of your work you’re proud of: portfolio of research studies, publications, or whatever represents what you do best.
|Lead Data Scientist - Shipping Services||Data Science and Engineering||Ottawa, Canada|
|Data Visualization Developer||Data Science and Engineering||Ottawa, Canada|
|Senior Data Scientist||Data Science and Engineering||Ottawa, Canada|
|Senior Software Engineer - Fraud Detection||Data Science and Engineering||Ottawa, Canada|
|Data Scientist||Data Science and Engineering||Ottawa, Canada|