About the role
Shopify has redefined commerce, raising the standard for how businesses of all sizes operate, market, and sell their products and services. With over 1,000,000 merchants in more than 175 different countries, powered by the most innovative platform on the market, we continue to grow rapidly while constantly looking for new ways to impact and disrupt the industry.
About the Shopify Fulfillment Network (SFN)
The Shopify Fulfillment Network (SFN) is a dispersed network of fulfillment centers, powered by machine learning that takes the pain out of warehousing and fulfillment for our merchants.
About this Role
We’re building a Centre of Excellence warehouse operation in Ottawa. This will be a functioning test bed, a place where we’re going to trial new warehousing and fulfillment technology, (think robots and automation), build and iterate on all the components of our growing Shopify Fulfilment Network and let our product teams see the highs and lows of warehousing and fulfillment first hand.
Oh, and we’ll be fulfilling live orders too.
The Warehouse Operations Manager is going to be the key to the success of this operation. You’ll be working with internal and external stakeholders to design and build the facility out, creating a ‘best-in-class’ operation. You will be responsible for budgeting, vendor management, process design and improvement, training and everything else that comes with setting up and running a facility like this.
And if that wasn’t enough, there is massive growth opportunity for this role and this team. This Ottawa warehouse is just the start. We want this person to build out a playbook that would let us replicate these best practices in future locations. In other words, you’ll have one eye on the present and one eye on the future.
Requirements for this role:
- First and foremost, you need to have run fulfillment warehouses from an operations standpoint before. But (and this is big), you can’t bring your baggage with you. We want someone who’s seen it and done it before, but for some reason, was always restrained from doing it better. You’ll have a fresh slate here to bring your experience but nowhere near the number of constraints you may have faced in the past.
- You’ll have experience with Warehouse Management Systems, and an opinion about what an ideal WMS looks like.
- The role needs someone who thinks differently about problems, values systems thinking, and knows how to get shit done. It’s a role tailor made for someone who’s passionate about fulfillment and warehousing, used to working in a complex environment, and able to manage multiple stakeholders both internally and externally to Shopify.
- You must be data-driven. It’s impossible to overstate this one, you’ll have deep experience with performance metrics and process improvement (how, when, who). Most importantly, you’ll be able to translate this to your team in a human-centric approach.
- You’ve dealt with a contingent workforce during peak seasons.
- You’ve been accountable for meeting and exceeding operational goals, and you can provide clear evidence of this.
- You might have had experience in building out playbooks for expansion. How do you export best practices and distill everything you’ve been doing for others to follow?
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Greg, a recruiter on our team, is looking forward to reading your application.
This posting will close on Friday, November 22nd at 2pm EDT.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.