About the role
Shopify is the world’s fastest growing commerce platform with no plans to slow down, powering over 1 million stores in more than 175 different countries. The mission of every person within the Legal Team is to work behind the scenes to help Shopify make commerce better for everyone. To that end we must be able to apply our knowledge and experience in order to protect Shopify’s interests in a way that allows Shopify’s business to stay agile and competitive.
About the team
Shopify’s IP Team is a small but growing part of our broader Legal Team, working closely with senior management and Shopify’s brilliant Research and Development teams to manage Shopify’s growing IP portfolio (including patents and trademarks), and protect our ability to innovate. Our team runs on both legal and engineering talent who work together in order to encapsulate the ideas and bring them to life.
Are you a seasoned patent agent or an attorney ready for a new challenge? Maybe you cut your teeth drafting and prosecuting patent applications for a few years, and now you’re looking for ways to apply more meaning and intent to your work. Or maybe you’ve tried the patent agency track but now want to move in-house to get closer to the innovation action.
No matter which way you started your career, we'd love to hear from you to learn more about how you might be able to help us capture the amazing ideas developed at Shopify. We’re looking for a self-starter with a solid software background to help grow Shopify’s portfolio strategically, but in a light-weight, low-touch fashion, which will allow R&D to focus on shipping amazing products.
Some of what will keep you engaged:
- Directing the external drafting, filing and prosecution of patent applications to strategically grow the portfolio with intent and purpose, and to serve Shopify’s business needs
- Building relationships with key stakeholders, inventors, and external counsel
- Growing your understanding of the commerce industry
- Participate in mining sessions with R&D to identify industry-first innovations
- Help flesh out innovative ideas to improve scope and accelerate patent drafting
- Conduct patent draft reviews to minimize the burden on inventors
A few things you will need:
- Registered USPTO/CIPO Patent Agency registration. LLB or JD will be considered an asset
- Experience in preparing and prosecuting U.S., Canadian and/or international patent applications, preferably in the software and/or computer fields
- A strong technical background, preferably with a B.S. and/or an advanced degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or Computer Science
- The ability to both work collaboratively as part of the team and on an individual basis without a lot of guidance or oversight, always with a view towards being of service to R&D and other members of the IP team
- Good business judgement and relationship-building skillsStrong written and interpersonal communication skills
- Experience with Software-as-a-Service, web services, data platforms, and/or relational databasesA broad-based understanding of the commerce industry
- Experience with delivering products and managing projects in a technology vertical
- An appreciation for Halloween, Karaoke and Trivia night. (The Legal Team takes our Halloween costume contest very seriously)
If this role sounds like it’s right up your alley, please consider applying! Please include a cover letter and address it to Rob aka “the patent guy”.
Please note that this posting will close on January 27th, 2020 at 4pm EDT.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.
|Director of Accounting||Legal and Finance||Ottawa, Canada|
|Procurement Operations Specialist||Legal and Finance||Ottawa, Canada|
|Manager, Internal IT Audit||Legal and Finance||Ottawa, Canada|
|Privacy Analyst||Legal and Finance||Ottawa, Canada|
|Corporate Paralegal||Legal and Finance||Ottawa, Canada|
|Head of Tax||Legal and Finance||Ottawa, Canada|