About the role
Shopify Plus is making enterprise commerce simple. We give high-growth, high-volume merchants the scalability, reliability and flexibility they need. Shopify Plus is helping power commerce for companies like, RedBull, GE, Boll and Branch, P&G, Kanye West, Kylie Cosmetics, and many more. We believe large merchants should love their commerce platform and we work hard each day to make that happen. We are in hyper-growth, and this is where you come in.
Shopify is looking to grow the team responsible for building the next generation of commerce. As a member of the Plus Support FED team, you'll work alongside some of the most talented people in the industry in developing custom solutions for Shopify’s enterprise-level clientele.
While working closely with the Merchant Support and Plus Merchant Success teams, you will be helping merchants by answering questions, implementing customizations, and fixing issues. You will act as a mentor for aspiring individuals to develop the community of Front End Developers within Shopify.
- Work with merchants in order to create a new feature or modify an existing feature of their theme
- Work with merchants to debug and fix issues in their themes and Shopify Scripts
- Participate in code reviews and peer feedback sessions
- Create new Shopify Scripts or modify existing Shopify Scripts for Plus merchants
- Teach merchants best practices when it comes to themes or Shopify Scripts
- Develop tools to help increase team efficiency
- Communicate with both the Plus Merchant Success team and Merchant Support teams in order to support Plus merchants
- Act as subject matter experts in Front-End Development inside Shopify's Merchant Support and Plus Merchant Success teams.
- Collaborate closely with fellow team members to achieve team goals
- Participate in knowledge-sharing and mentoring initiatives both with the team and across Support teams at Shopify
Requirements for the role:
- You are comfortable and excited about working directly with merchants and providing exceptional merchant support
- You are detail oriented - your code is clean, organized and well thought-out
- You are comfortable working as part of a collaborative development team, including QAing other developers’ code and crafting easily-maintainable code
- You enjoy being a mentor and teaching others
- You care about performance and the fine details of a finished product
- You always want to improve how the team works, through standards, tools, etc
- You care about your craft and are involved in the development or design community
- Advanced web development fundamentals (the box model, HTML structures, flexbox, etc)
- An understanding of programming logic flow (if, else, while, case)
- Experience with REST APIs, AJAX, and JSON
- Experience with version control (eg. Git) and managing codebases with multiple developers
- A working knowledge of Ruby and OOP programming principles
- Experience using CSS preprocessors (SCSS, LESS) and/or build tools (Grunt, Gulp)
- A working knowledge of the Liquid templating language
- Experience working as part of a collaborative development team
- Familiarity with code performance practices
- Experience building cross-browser scripts and responsive layouts
- Experience communicating complex web development topics in an easily-digestible manner
- Experience in customer service of any kind
- You have experience working remotely and across multiple time zones
Here's how to apply:
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce, click the “Apply now” button to submit your application. Please address your cover letter to Steve B. and submit answers to the following questions.
1) Based on the job description above, tell us why you’re a good fit for this role.
2) Complete a sample customization request. The instructions can be found here.
This posting closes: Friday, Nov. 1 at 8am AEST
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.