About the role
Shopify is the world’s fastest growing commerce platform, with no plans to slow down, powering over 1 million stores in more than 175 different countries. Our mission within the Legal Team is to work behind the scenes to help Shopify make commerce better for everyone. We must be able to apply our knowledge and experience in order to protect Shopify’s interests in a way that allows our business to stay agile and competitive.
About the team
Shopify’s Privacy & Intellectual Property Team is a small but growing part of our broader Legal Team (though this is not a legal role!), tasked with working closely with senior management and Shopify’s brilliant R&D teams to address and mitigate legal risks relating to Shopify’s products and data. In particular, we are responsible for managing Shopify’s privacy and data protection program, building Shopify’s IP portfolio, and managing disputes, regulatory inquiries, and litigation relating to either privacy or intellectual property.
Are you a privacy analyst or a consultant ready for a new challenge? Do you have experience translating between technical and non-technical folks? Can you patiently explain to relatives what the cloud is? Maybe you’re a tech geek and are looking for an opportunity to break into a new and constantly evolving field. Shopify is looking for a Privacy Analyst to help us to build our global privacy program from the ground up, focusing on compliance with PIPEDA, CCPA, GDPR, and US privacy laws and regulations. You don’t need to be a legal expert - we will train you on our processes. While it will help if you have some basic experience with privacy, we’re more interested in your personality and work ethic as long as you have an interest in learning. Work hard, think big-picture, own your area, and you will fit right in.
We’re looking for an independent go-getter who thrives without someone standing over their shoulder. We’re also looking for an excellent communicator who can speak comfortably with anyone from a small mom-and-pop shop with no technical or privacy experience to an international law enforcement agency that is demanding information as part of an important investigation.
Your primary responsibilities will be to help build and run Shopify’s subpoena and government access process, to be a point of contact for merchants and internal stakeholders at Shopify for their privacy questions, and to manage our privacy training program. You will help the entire organization grow, while understanding and safeguarding the privacy rights of individuals who interact with Shopify or its products. This role will be located in our Ottawa office or remotely in Ireland.
Some of what will keep you engaged:
- Responding to and providing information where appropriate to subpoenas, court orders, and law enforcement or regulatory requests for information about merchants, their buyers, our partners, or others whose information we process
- Responding to questions from merchants, consumers, law enforcement, and regulators about our privacy practices
- Responding to requests from individuals regarding their rights over their personal information
- Building relationships with key stakeholders to make sure that our answers, and any information we produce, is comprehensive and accurate
- Overseeing the implementation of our privacy training program
A few things you will need:
- The ability to prioritize and handle multiple projects/initiatives simultaneously and complete them in a timely manner, with minimal supervision. You need to be a self-starter who thrives without regular oversight as your lead may be remote, and you should be comfortable with that
- An exceptional ability to communicate verbally and in writing with a wide variety of audiences about extremely complex technologies and legal requirements, using plain language and no hand waving. You should be able to ask incisive questions, and more importantly, clarifying follow-up questions. You should also not be fazed communicating with law enforcement, government authorities, heated merchants, or other external parties under stressful circumstances
- The ability to build and maintain strong relationships with a variety of teams. You will need to be able to gain the trust of a wide range of folks at Shopify, to speak to each team “in their language”, and to make them feel comfortable enough to reach out when things go wrong
- A desire to work on an agile, pragmatic team. This is not “compliance” work. You will not just be sending people paperwork and rubber stamping that paperwork. This is a risk management role, and you will need to be comfortable providing pragmatic responses
Bonus points if you have:
- Knowledge of or a demonstrated interest in privacy laws. A CIPM or CIPP certification will be helpful
- Experience working with or a background in technology (since you will often be asked questions about obscure technical details)
- An appreciation for Halloween, Karaoke and Trivia night. (The Legal Team takes our Halloween costume contest very seriously)
If this role sounds like it’s right up your alley, please consider applying! Please include a cover letter and address it to Lisa Hartman. In your cover letter, please include a paragraph on a privacy issue in the news that has caught your attention recently and what it might mean for Shopify.
Please note that this posting will close on January 27th, 2020 at 4pm EDT.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.
|Corporate Paralegal||Legal and Finance||Ottawa, Canada|
|Manager, Internal IT Audit||Legal and Finance||Ottawa, Canada|
|Patent Attorney/Agent||Legal and Finance||Ottawa, Canada|
|Director of Accounting||Legal and Finance||Ottawa, Canada|
|Head of Tax||Legal and Finance||Ottawa, Canada|
|Procurement Operations Specialist||Legal and Finance||Ottawa, Canada|