About the role
The Privacy Engineering team is part of the broader Trust and Security Team that protects over 1 million merchants and their businesses by ensuring that Shopify is one of the most secure and trustworthy commerce platforms on the planet. Our team focuses on data privacy and data protection. We are deeply embedded in Shopify’s products and services, and have the autonomy to use innovative approaches to solving privacy problems. We develop systems to help Shopify meet the rapidly-evolving privacy expectations of our users around the world.
As a Privacy Developer, you will be helping protect the personal information of millions of people, defending the trust people have in online commerce. Some examples of our work include building systems to orchestrate data privacy requests across hundreds of services, anonymize personal information, and control the usage and flow of personal information within Shopify.
You’ll also have the opportunity to influence the development of new features and services across many teams in Shopify, to help us ensure that we respect the privacy rights of all our users.
If you’re interested in learning about privacy, this is a great opportunity to learn more about this field! You’ll have the opportunity to work on problems that intersect business, technology, and ethics.
You will work on things like:
- Automating the orchestration and completion of erasure and access requests across hundreds of services
- Building services to automatically detect the presence of personal data
- Building fine-grained access control systems to safeguard the usage of personal data
- Participating in discussions with other teams about how to protect personal data in new products and services
You will need to have:
- Experience with languages and frameworks like Ruby on Rails and Go
- Strong software development background with software design patterns, code review, and automated testing
- An interest in protecting users’ privacy rights on a constantly changing platform
- Curiosity and passion for learning new things; Shopify changes fast, and we need the people who work here to be able to adapt and learn quickly
- Designing GraphQL interfaces
- Developing in Scala or Python
- Working with Spark, Kafka, or other distributed data systems
- Implementing access control systems
If you want to help Shopify shape the future of commerce, hit the “Apply now” button to submit your application. We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. We are looking forward to reading your application!
Shopify is now permanently remote and working towards a future that is digital by design. Learn more about what this can mean for you.
This posting will close on Friday, December 18th, 2020 noon EST.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.